Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old June 18, 2010   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Round Mauve - not so mauve

I am growing Round Mauve eggplant for the first time this year. My plants are starting to get fruits, and I am surprised by the color. They are not remotely mauve. They are the same shape as what I've seen in photos for the variety, but the color is a deep dark rich purple. They're very pretty, and I don't really mind about the color difference. It just surprised me.

Has anyone else here grown this variety? If so, what color was it in your garden? I'm just wondering if the color changes as they get bigger or if environmental factors play a role, or whether they are just darker than the name would imply. As long as they taste good and produce well, I'll be happy regardless. They're getting off to a good start production-wise.
Old June 20, 2010   #2
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Growing one this year to try - bought simply based on the photo of the seed catalog. They are size of an apple by now, deep purple/black. At the moment - not even close to the picture in terms of color (much as with your plant)... Will see how they do later in the season?

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2010   #3
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Well, my Round Mauve got large enough to pull - still a very deep and lovely purple color. I will try to post pictures eventually. I made an Indian curried eggplant dish tonight from various eggplants I had. Tasty!