Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 25, 2013   #1
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

Default Cross pollination potato

Hello,in the last few days I was reading several posts about TPS growing. I didn't find (or I'v overaseen) something about cross pollination.I know about hand pollination,but if I plant Desiree tubers and TPS seedlings in the same area and they produce flowers - will they cross pollinate by them self? How apart should I plant them to avoide cross pollination? Or cover flowers?
Thanks,Akelei

Last edited by Akelei; January 25, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Akelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2013   #2
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

If you start with TPS by Tom Wagner is more likely to cross pollinate since he breeds for fertility. If you have male infertile varieties then not. I leave the bees to do the pollination for me since I believe in open pollination. Also I really can't get into hand pollination or I will get seriously obsessed with it. Most of the potatoes I have had started with Tom's TPS or tubers so they produce enough berries to keep me busy for few years. I have some saved that I haven't tried to check was I got...some of the ones I tried were interesting crosses and taste.

I guess the best approach is to get a patch with potatoes that you like their characteristics. The intended hand crosses you probably will end up emasculating the flower and tagging and the rest are open pollinated if they cross.
Old January 26, 2013   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
How apart should I plant them to avoid cross pollination? Or cover flowers?
If you want berries...do not worry about crossing....that is actually better than selfing. Desiree is a variety that is more than good about selfing.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2013   #4
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

Yes,I will berries! Desiree tubers are from a local farmer,TPS's are from a shop.They say,all TPS are OP.But in case if I will keep a stabile variety,I should plant them with a distance to other variety,or plant just one variety a year.I'm right?
I know,I have a lot of questions,but one week ago, I never heard about TPS. It takes time,to check all infos!
Akelei

Last edited by Akelei; January 26, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old January 27, 2013   #5
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Let's see now. Your local farmer gave you TPS?
Quote:
They say,all TPS are OP.But in case if I will keep a stabile variety,I should plant them with a distance to other variety,or plant just one variety a year.I'm right?
Potatoes can be stable only as clones...from tubers or tissue cultured plantlets.
Potatoes from TPS are essentially impossible to be stable.

Looking at about 84 public potato varieties derived from Desiree....fully half are crosses using Desiree as the female parent and half as the the male. Only one publicly released Desiree descendant is from an OP. Whether or not that is a true selfed pollination or an accidental cross...I do not know. Most breeders are rather adverse to using OP TPS, as they are constantly trying to bring in an advanced trait.

Desiree is one of the world's truly international potato varieties. Many countries claim varieties bred from it. Desiree is from 50 years ago from a cross of a variety from 60 years ago and another from 70 years ago. When you save TPS from an OP Desiree...it is mostly likely selfed and the clones derived from it will reflect the recombination of the double grandparents of those long ago years. The clones will redirect back to URGENTA or DEPESCHE.

Ugenta

DEPESCHE.

no picture but an oval white with light yellow flesh

Knowing what the parents of Desiree were like, and I have grown Urgenta, but not Depesche, I try to cross it with potatoes very unlike either of the parental types. I believe I have some TPS derived from Desiree on one of my websites called DESIGNER ROSES. The name Designer
a mnemonic device, a learning technique that aids information retention from Desiree.

As I type this I remember that DESIGNER ROSES is a cross of my DESIRE IN RED and something else. DESIRE IN RED was a cross of Desiree and ND2912-2R, a cross I made 25 years ago. It was bright red rather than the rather ugly pink that Desiree takes on when it is left in the ground too long.

I know, I know, too much information
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #6
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

Potatoes can be stable only as clones...from tubers or tissue cultured plantlets.
Potatoes from TPS are essentially impossible to be stable.
This is a key that I was looking for! Thank you very much!!!
No,I bought Desiree tubers by local farmer,and TPS by Stefan!

Akelei

Last edited by Akelei; January 28, 2013 at 02:29 AM.