Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old December 20, 2015   #1
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default What to plant in Wi for new/fingerling and storage?

I'm thinking of buying about 6-8 pounds of seed potatoes, probably will buy three (maybe four?) kinds.
I would like to try a fingerling potato, a red skinned potato (my husband's favorite) that will make small potatoes and also store fairly well, and then I'm thinking yukon golds for most of my storage potatoes? Something similar?
I would love to try an all blue potato too since they're so pretty and just would be fun.

So what do you recommend? Fedco seems to have decent prices for small quantities but not much on whether a variety stores well.

Last year I waited too long and didn't order in time so this year I'm going to order my seed potatoes and sweet potato slips in Jan.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #2
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

As far as Fedco goes, did you look at their variety chart? I thought this gave information on storage qualities. For blue/Purple, I grow Magic Molly, a fingerling. Some of mine got fairly large this year. French Fingerling and Banana are two others that I really like. Chieftain was my red potato. Carola my yellow fleshed; Gold Rush, my white fleshed russet. All grew very well here. Gold Rush makes wonderful fluffy, mashed potatoes. One way I use the fingerlings is scalloped with onions, rosemary and garlic, chicken broth and gruyere cheese with a gratin topping.

You are wise to order early before they sell out.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #3
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Variety chart? Is it on a different page from the potatoes?

Those scalloped potatoes sound amazing. I think my stomach just growled!

Last edited by BackyardFarm; December 22, 2015 at 09:29 PM.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #4
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

On Fedco's Moose Tubers webpage, look on the left side, click on Moose Tubers library, then Potato Variety Chart. Hope that helps. Thanks...your post reminded me to order too as well as to make the fingerling casserole soon too!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote