Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 12, 2012   #1
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Default Best Bell for the SE Texas

I would like to add some really good bell peppers to my mix for market next spring. I have done well frowing gypsy bells and sweet bananas. I want a good, solid green bell for this area.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #2
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

California Wonder and Big Bertha are both solid producers for me. They both succumbed to the newest race of Xanthomonas campestris (bacterial leaf spot) this year though. The source was visibly contaminated seedlings from Smith Nursery that I naively took home anyway :/ I'm still researching what to plant next year.

The chocolate/purple bells don't produce well here, I doubt people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.

One other option that is widely available and produces like a dream here is Ancho San Martin, a poblano variety. It's just hot enough that we can use it as a substitute for bell peppers if we leave out any other capsaicin containing ingredient (no chile powder or serranos).
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm not in Texas, but last summer felt like it.

I'm going to give up on Cal Wonders and go with some expensive hybrid seed for next year to see if I do any better. A field production hybrid is about $40 for 500 seeds. I may just go wild and buy some greenhouse hybrids; they're about five times more expensive than the field varieties. At $50 for 100 seeds, I'm thinking they must jump out of the packet and grow themselves.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012   #4
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm not in Texas, but last summer felt like it.

I'm going to give up on Cal Wonders and go with some expensive hybrid seed for next year to see if I do any better. A field production hybrid is about $40 for 500 seeds. I may just go wild and buy some greenhouse hybrids; they're about five times more expensive than the field varieties. At $50 for 100 seeds, I'm thinking they must jump out of the packet and grow themselves.
Man I dont know, but I have to find stuff that doesnt spend all its time finding reasons not to produce, which is the challenge.

If you dont mind, PM me. Lets talk.
Old December 12, 2012   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Have you thought about non-bells sweet peppers? Like Lipstick, Apelsin and the like? I am in El Paso, and cant grow bells because of the heat-but the non bell sweet peppers grow great for me.
Old December 12, 2012   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Anaconagua is a non-bell. The only sweet, bell flavored perr I've had success with. It's yummy, too!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I haven't personally found bells to do very well in S.E. and Central Texas. The only exception I've heard that does well here is Mavras. I hope to grow it one year.

Otherwise, I grow Italian frying types like Carmen F1, Marconi, Golden Marconi, etc.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Personally I think the trick to Bells in hot southern climates is companion planting. I grow cilantro to help shade them and several companions like basil oregano purslane dwarf marigolds etc low to provide humidity. Also I grow them close to each other. I am in Oklahoma not Texas, but even here if I just plant bell peppers in the standard way they do very poorly. Setting little if any fruit and often completely dying.

But with companion planting I get huge thick walled fruit and so many they sometimes even break the branches!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012   #9
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I haven't personally found bells to do very well in S.E. and Central Texas. The only exception I've heard that does well here is Mavras. I hope to grow it one year.

Otherwise, I grow Italian frying types like Carmen F1, Marconi, Golden Marconi, etc.

I have done great growing seet banana and gypsy bell, but of course, at the markets they want bells. But hey, if the dont grow well this stuff will cover you up.
Old December 13, 2012   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
I have done great growing seet banana and gypsy bell, but of course, at the markets they want bells. But hey, if the dont grow well this stuff will cover you up.
Try Bonnie's hybrid. I still claim 1/2 the battle is companion planting. However, regardless of the method you grow, Bonnie's Hybrid is a really good variety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first pepper harvest 2012.jpg (56.2 KB, 23 views)

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; December 13, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Scott-whatever you are doing, dont change!
Old December 14, 2012   #12
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I get pretty good results with Orange Bell. Not really heat tolerant but it is a long season variety that produces more fruit at any drop in temperature.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2012   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I get pretty good results with Orange Bell.

Which one? Or is that a variety name? I've seen Orange King, Orange Blaze, and Orange Sun.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2012   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Personally I think the trick to Bells in hot southern climates is companion planting. I grow cilantro to help shade them and several companions like basil oregano purslane dwarf marigolds etc low to provide humidity. Also I grow them close to each other. I am in Oklahoma not Texas, but even here if I just plant bell peppers in the standard way they do very poorly. Setting little if any fruit and often completely dying.

But with companion planting I get huge thick walled fruit and so many they sometimes even break the branches!
Cilantro? My cilantro usually gives up the ghost around Feb, before I even plant peppers! How do you do that?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2012   #15
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Orange Bell is an open pollinated very good flavored pepper variety. Sandhill Preservation carries it. I sent Glenn a large amount of fresh seed this year.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote