Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 13, 2007   #1
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Thompson & Morgan

Had good results with their Dianthus and Asters purchased from racks so placed a small order which included Balconi yellow and red tomatoes (for hanging baskets). The order took 8 days to ship (9 if the Sunday night I ordered is included). After 5 days, hearing nothing from T&M but the orginal confirmation, I emailed the company. Their reply took 4 days. On top of that, they are out of Balconi tomato seeds (I learned this 8 days after ordering). Thompson & Morgan is pricey but has some great flowers with excellent germination rates. However, from my experience and what I've seen on their feedback forum, they are not up to speed on shipping.

Thinking about placing another order with TGS to replace the Balconi seed but would prefer to use what I have on hand. Have eight 12" self-watering hanging baskets. It was a small battle here to convince everyone to replace the geraniums with tomatoes so I need plants which fill the baskets, have lots of foliage and are productive. Taste is secondary.

Are any of these suitable?

Glacier
Matina
Kimberly
Window Box Roma
Yellow Canary
Orange Pixie
Lime Green Salad

Aside from the above, if appearence were the most important issue, what would you choose for 12" hanging baskets?
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2007   #2
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I've always had very good luck with Thompson & Morgan's seeds, though I have noted that here in the US they do not carry the enormous unusual selection they once did. Our recent order took about 6 days to arrive here in VT. Maybe 8. Nowhere close to as fast as Tomatogrowers, but acceptable.

I was thinking of filling up the hanging baskets with tomatoes to, so let me know what you decide to put in 'em.

Last edited by Granny; April 4, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2007   #3
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Haven't decided but I'll post when I do, Granny.

The T&M order arrived Thursday--11 days after ordering. As I mentioned, on Monday the company told me the Balconi tomato seeds were not shipped. They forgot to mention spilanthes oleracea seeds were not in the shipment either. On the invoice the Balconi is on back order. Not sure now if that those seeds were canceled as we agreed on Monday or not.

Thompson & Morgan did include two free seed packs: Fatima Lettuce and SC4-15 F1 Hybrid pumpkins. The latter is rather odd. The package says the fruits are "tennis ball sized ". The company website says they are "football sized" and also "cricket ball sized". T&M also states the cultivar is "Undergoing tests for National Listing. Available for test purposes. Please report back to us on performance." They are pitched as "a unique development in food versatility . .(a) microwavable mini pumpkin." With spacing of 3 feet and each plant producing only " 6 - 7 10oz" pumpkins I think I'll pass on this one.

Along with the order came a few rather tacky adds for other companies.

Does seem Thompson and Morgan is having some difficulties. Hope they get them straightened out because, as you say, they have had some excellent products.
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2007   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I've had mixed results with T&M. I generally order early enough that shipping time isn't much of an issue for me. Some seeds (flowers usually) I've had excellent germination, and some very little or absolutely zero germination. I only know of one local retailer ("local" being 50 miles from here) for their seeds.

How about 'Tumbler' tomatoes for your baskets? They're attractive, prolific plants with so-so flavor.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007   #5
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

I have only good experiences with T&M, and I only have the free packages they occasionally offer with my Kitchen Garden Magazine to judge them from... perfect germination so far and nice plants coming from them
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2007   #6
mouse
Tomatovillian™

You may wish to check out their ValueSeeds outlet first, their clearance arm, with 99 cents shipping. It is a separate company with no-frills packaging, a limited & changing selection but excellent prices and quality.

m
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote