Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 23, 2013   #76
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmoreyeah View Post
I've got a quick question. I'm using the Texas Tomato formula fertilizer. I'm using it, in a dial hose end sprayer. According to the recommendations; 8 oz fertilizer to 24 oz water and set the dial to 2 1/2 oz. When I'm feeding my container tomatoes (10 gallon grow bags- filled with Metro Mix potting medium) how much should I be watering each container with the hose end sprayer? I wanted to add that the potting medium is first watered with just water so the medium is wet before application.

Thanks,
Charles
Charles......first, your mix should always be wet, just not overly wet. In containers, the mistake is to let them dry out. Inconsistent watering will cause BER, no matter how much calcium is in the nutrient.

If your Metro Mix has nothing added to it, then you're doing manual hydroponics. MM is inert/neutral, zero nutrients. In that case here are your options:
  1. You can feed every time you water until solution comes out the bottom.
  2. You can feed every other time you water without it coming out the bottom, but thoroughly drenching. Every 3-4 weeks, water pure until you get a good flush.
  3. If you have added amendments to your MM, then you have to take that into account.
The idea is to keep the rootzone correctly balanced and full of nutrients, but not excessive. Ultimately you use your eye to tell you when to "push" and when to back off. Directions are general. Don't be afraid to experiment with consecutive "shots". Watch the response, and go back to pure water if you see too much growth and a green color which is too dark.

Urbanfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013   #77
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

So far I'm very happy with my results. I was gone for 2 weeks and my tomatoes and peppers pretty much doubled in size and now all have fruit on them. A few of my tomato plants were about 2ft tall when I left and now are well above 5 ft tall. I used texas tomato food the week prior to me leaving but not while I was gone. I'm just amazed by the growth.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013   #78
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have a question. Since my soil is excessively high in P and the fruit tree formula is the lowest in P would it be as good for vegetables as the Vegetable fertilizer? They seem pretty close in N and K but have a lower P.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013   #79
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have a question. Since my soil is excessively high in P and the fruit tree formula is the lowest in P would it be as good for vegetables as the Vegetable fertilizer? They seem pretty close in N and K but have a lower P.

Bill
Go for it! Run a side-by-side and record your results. Soil isn't neutral: it brings some of it's own to the table, maybe alot, maybe not much. But it is something that can be taken into account. In your case it may very well be that Apples & Oranges will be a nice match.

Old May 27, 2013   #80
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Since I am going to be ordering again soon I just wanted to check. I've already used the Apples and Oranges on some of my veggies and they seemed to really like it, at least as well as the Vegetable; but I wasn't sure if there was some ingredient in one or the other that would make a big difference. I have been avoiding anything with high P for the last few years because of the extremely high P indicated on my last soil test.

With about 25 peppers, squash, cucumbers, over 50 tomato plants and fruit and citrus trees I'm going through your fertilizer way too fast. I am also adding new tomato and pepper plants every few weeks as some of my spring veggies finish up and give me more room. I am wanting to keep up the regimen of fertilizing my tomatoes every week with the TTF through the heat of the summer and see how they respond. Last year when I started weekly feeding of my peppers and tomatoes in early July for the plants that were set out for fall I experienced slightly higher fruit set than was normal during those very hot months. I was hoping keeping up this routine throughout the whole growing season would keep the plants growing and producing in a more even manner. Of course heavy rain always stops that for a while but we usually don't have too much of that after April down here.

Bill
Old May 29, 2013   #81
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Add me to the list! Just ordered a bottle of the Tomato food. Excited.
Old June 1, 2013   #82
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My tomatoes are still setting nicely despite the high heat and humidity. I think they like the weekly feeding of TTF. Ran out and will have to order more so I can keep up the weekly feeding routine for the rest of the season which I hope will be long again this year. It is so nice to find a product that lives up to its claims and at a fairly reasonable price. Don't take that to mean raise your prices.

Bill
Old June 4, 2013   #83
tsipgolf12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My tomatoes are still setting nicely despite the high heat and humidity. I think they like the weekly feeding of TTF. Ran out and will have to order more so I can keep up the weekly feeding routine for the rest of the season which I hope will be long again this year. It is so nice to find a product that lives up to its claims and at a fairly reasonable price. Don't take that to mean raise your prices.

Bill
Bill I am also feeding TTF weekly but not really sure of how much to feed each plant. How
much are you feeding each plant to get the great results your are enjoying. How about
some updated pictures

Thanks RWG
tsipgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #84
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipgolf12 View Post
Bill I am also feeding TTF weekly but not really sure of how much to feed each plant. How
much are you feeding each plant to get the great results your are enjoying. How about
some updated pictures

Thanks RWG
I'm giving each plant a 1gal feeding once a week, 1tbl of TTF per gallon mixed.

I'm growing in 5gal buckets, though.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #85
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipgolf12 View Post
some updated pictures

Thanks RWG
I am using a hose end sprayer and diluting the product before applying it at a rate that is probably around 2 tsp per gallon but I am soaking the soil under each plant. When the fruit get large enough that the danger of splitting occurs I will cut back on the water and apply it at a little stronger dose. At least that is my plan. Thanks to my generous feeding program my 50 plants have already consumed my first gallon of TTF and I have got to order some more today.

Bill
Old June 4, 2013   #86
tsipgolf12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am using a hose end sprayer and diluting the product before applying it at a rate that is probably around 2 tsp per gallon but I am soaking the soil under each plant. When the fruit get large enough that the danger of splitting occurs I will cut back on the water and apply it at a little stronger dose. At least that is my plan. Thanks to my generous feeding program my 50 plants have already consumed my first gallon of TTF and I have got to order some more today.

Bill
Thanks Bill....I saw your updated pictures of your garden...great results..Fruit set is amazing compared to what I am seeing so far. Thanks for the help

RWG
tsipgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #87
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Bill......where are these photos of your garden, as mentioned above? I'd like to take a look. The attached pic is of a variety we are growing for the first time. It's a modern hybrid: Champion II. Surprisingly good-tasting, and a fair yield. This plant has over 62 on it now (some are on the backside and up top, so you can't see them all). We've picked about a dozen already.

It's slowing down because of the heat, and also because the fruit set was heavy.

So it's fast and makes a good tomato sandwich, but the tomatoes are on the small side.

The owl and sparkly tape have been successful at keeping the birds away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2619.JPG (187.2 KB, 417 views)

Old June 5, 2013   #88
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

is there a recommended hose end sprayer? I have seen the MG ones with two canisters of liquid MG included (with an admonishment to not reuse the cannisters) Any better?
Old June 5, 2013   #89
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Urban

I assume that your Champion II is growing in your hydro system?
Old June 5, 2013   #90
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Impressive fruit set! Wondering if you pruned that bottom foot or so of leaves proactively, or to removed diseased leaves? I for one, but I suspect everyone, would love to see more pictures of your set up! (I have visited the web page and recently placed a second order of TTF) I'd also love know/see what kind of results you get with the hydro system using heirlooms. If I could substantially up my heirloom production without compromising taste, I might be willing to try out the hydro system.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote