Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 4, 2016   #16
mcool61
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
I saw the ad for this Aldi greenhouse, will go on sale March 9th (next week).

It's pictured as coming with a GREEN vinyl cover, not clear.
How does this color affect plant growth?

The ones I've seen in various catalogs/websites have one or the other, but no mention of which works better, how or why.

Thoughts?
In science class we grew bush green beans & tried various colors of celophane over them. Green did the poorest & purple was the best grower of the colored celophanes.
mcool61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #17
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
While we're on the topic of Aldi's buys, they have great shopping bags in beige color for $1.99 each. They hold the equivalent of 10 gallons each.

I used them to grow fingerling potatoes last summer, using the 5-1-1 mix, and they worked great! Simply ran them through the washer on light cycle (no soap) and they're ready for this season. Check 'em out!
That is a great idea. How many potato seeds did u put in each bag? I have 2 wine barrel halfs I was gonna use this summer for potatoes, but I may try this instead.
Old March 5, 2016   #18
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
Oh here's a thought...maybe the green is more uv resistant? Tougher, will last longer than clear? *fingers crossed*
I got 1 of these off amazon years ago. The green covers are supposed to be more durable than the clear. At the time what I was using it for did not work for me so I sold it. I was happy enough with the quality though that I am looking to buy 1 of the walkin sized ones soon for keeping outside to keep transplants in and such. I second that you really need to not only weigh the bottom down, but see about securing it to the ground really well. These can help a lot, but the wind can easily take it down.

Good luck.
Old March 11, 2016   #19
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Reporting back after putting up the greenhouse:

The supports are a mix of plastic and metal. The plastic seems pretty flimsy. But the metal parts seem very sturdy. The plastic cover is very thick. Not actually green but has a green grid over clear. I'm assuming it's for strength? It came with tie downs, just some cord and stakes you attach to the top which has loops. The shelves for it are also very light. Seem like they would bend a little too easily.

I did also buy the rain/garden boots and those are working awesome so far.

The organic starting mix was full of chunks of wood. Do not recommend that unless you want a coarser mix .
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #20
moneymaker
Tomatovillian™

Default Re aldi greenhouse

Hi backyard farm, thank you for the update , hope you are happy with. Greenhouse you could put a bit of WD40 on the zips to make them run smoothly. So they don't break away from the plastic ,plus beware of condensation, it is a problem here in the u k have to unzip as soon as it gets warm. Good luck for 2016 season¿
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #21
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

The clear poly plastic reinforced with green nylon fibers quickly deteriorates after one season, from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. I purchased a large 6x8 model about 8 years ago from Sam's Club and was very disappointed with the quality.

The powder-coated steel tubular frame is made from thin-gauge steel. Even staked down, a good wind will wreak havoc on it. I tried replacing the plastic cover with greenhouse plastic but the frame itself had already begun to rust. I woke up one morning to find it collapsed in a heap, with all my trays of seedlings overturned.

You may have better luck, but for me it was a bad experience.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #22
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have been using these, but with the clear plastic, for hardening off seedlings only for a few years. They do okay for about two the three years before parts start to fail, so I would suggest buying them as cheaply as you can. They're not worth the $40+ the catalogs charge. And you'll find that replacement covers cost more than what you paid for the full kit.

Yes, wind is a problem--I also had one go over once. I put them against a building so that they're partially sheltered from stronger winds; the northeast facing wall of our shed seems to be the best spot. And a jug of water plus a concrete block sit on the bottom shelf both as heat sinks and to keep them from moving if they do get hit with a good blast of wind. I

I started with two I bought for $20 a piece, then a couple of years ago I was trolling through the Home Depot garden center very late in the fall and found a stack of them on clearance for $5 each. I grabbed all five and have been using them as parts donors.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #23
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I bought one and put it together today, for 20 bucks it's pretty nice!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #24
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

That's what I figure too. For $20? I'll take a chance.

I also staked it so it's sheltered by the house and the rain barrel on two sides. Hopefully that prevents any windblowing disasters!
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote