Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 30, 2016   #1
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Default Moskvich or Moskovich ?

Anybody is growing Moskvich or Moskovich ?
I am thinking about growing it next year pending on peers review.
What I know so far about it , is an early Russian variety.
I was in the local farmers market 2 days ago and bought one tomato to taste. It is still on the counter.

frm frmrs mrkt.jpg
It is the bigger red one in the back .
I also bought some ESTERINA. I love the taste of them

This picture is borrowed, not mine.
Esterina -F1.jpg

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #2
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

I have two of the Moskovich planted and picked my first two yesterday. Have not eaten as I am letting them ripen a little more. Tania has listings for several different varieties. My seed came from Tania...

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Moskovich
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I've got two plants going in 15gal fabric pots. Very nice red tom flavor and mine are mostly 4-8oz. The plnats are about 6ft, lush and a little thirsty, highest incidence of BER in the garden. On the upper clusters as high as 20%, lower clusters near zero.

Pics are Moskvich.

For container growing I'd plant Cosmonaut Volkov, one week longer to ripen, but a notch better on taste and considerably better on production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makeover139.jpg (116.7 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg makeover144.jpg (172.8 KB, 173 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #4
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

One of the Cosmonaut Volkov.

Twice the tomatoes, nil on BER, and same amount of water/ferts. No contest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makeover145.jpg (194.4 KB, 173 views)
Old July 30, 2016   #5
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Ricky I noticed some BER on my Moskovich while green. Have not decided whether to ferment and save for the upcoming swap...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have one plant but no fruit so far. This hasn't been a good season so far and I don't know if it will make it through the heat and drought to set any fruit. If not, I'm going to save it a spot next year. Reviews I found sounded promising.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #7
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I'm not going to plant it next year, and I noticed the lone request in the MMMM has disappeared, AND after squishing a medium size Elgin Pink, realizing after only getting 12 seeds, how hard this seed saving is.

Nope I'm not saving Moskvich this time around. I'm looking for some potato leaf reds, in about this size for next year. Tatiano has a few, Glick's Pride and Korshun Ogromnyi, look very good.
Old July 30, 2016   #8
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I grow Moskvich every year since it is one of the first slicers to mature here in Zone 3a. For me in 2015, it blushed at the same time as 0-33, Cosmonaut Volkov and Sophie's Choice. It is a good tasting tomato, but from this group I prefer the taste of 0-33. It gets soft on the vine quite quickly after ripening, which I don't personally like. I have not had BER problems with any of these varieties, and I do not think as highly of Cosmonaut Volkov as others do, perhaps as a result of my seeds/variety, soil or climate.

The Moskvich I grow is definately an indeterminate, consistent with the descriptions provided by Tania and Johnny's. Last year I had asked Andrey about Max (the `improved' Moskvich) and in his reply he indicated that Moskvich from Vavilov Institute is actually a determinate, as is Max, so I am not really sure what we are actually growing here in North America. He also noted that Moskovich is a misspelling of Moskvich. The pictures he provided were clearly determinates, here at http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....9&postcount=82

In the picture from late in 2013, #1 is Big Beef F1, #2 is Steak Sandwich F1, #3 is Early Pick VF F1, #4 is Moskvich, #5 is Fourth of July F1, #6 is Stupice and #7 is Arctic Fire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomatoes.jpg (37.7 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; July 30, 2016 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added picture.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #9
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I'm not going to plant it next year, and I noticed the lone request in the MMMM has disappeared, AND after squishing a medium size Elgin Pink, realizing after only getting 12 seeds, how hard this seed saving is.

Nope I'm not saving Moskvich this time around. I'm looking for some potato leaf reds, in about this size for next year. Tatiano has a few, Glick's Pride and Korshun Ogromnyi, look very good.
I have read mixed reviews on Moskvich/ yes, it is misspelled Moskovich/,have not grown one. I am growing Korshun Ogromnyi, it is setting as later variety for me, huge ribbed beefs are coming just now. Will report on taste.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #10
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

I grew Moskvich from Johnny's Selected Seeds last year. It produced quite well, and I'd classify it as early/midseason. The fruits were nice looking, and the taste was average for me IMO. I gave a plant of Moskvich to a lady I know, and she raved about the production of it.
I may grow it again next year, as it's nice to have a mid-sized tomato that ripens on the earlier side. And good production is nice for canning.

Gardeneer,
Please let us know what you think of Moskvich's taste.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

As Lindalana said Moskovitch gets mixed reviews.
Thanks, Ricky for suggesting Cosmonaut Volkov. I might grow it next year.

I can only afford to grow something that has good solid reviews. Productivity is more important to me. I can live with an average taste bu cannot afford poor productivity. Fruits are pay off for my time and efforts.

Happy Gardening !
Old July 31, 2016   #12
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gardeneer, did you try Sakharnyi Zheltyi this season? If yes, what do you think?
Old July 31, 2016   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Cosmonaut Volkov (from the Soviet/Russian space engineer and tomato breeder Igor Maslov) is another great amateur OP variety which I really like, but it is far not early as Moskvich!
And yes, original Moskvich from Vavilov Institute is determinate!

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Hi Gardeneer, did you try Sakharnyi Zheltyi this season? If yes, what do you think?
Hi RJ,
Yes indeed and thanks. Right now it has a large tomato ( ~ 8 oz ?) and more smaller ones. My Azoychka is about the situation.
So I will report more on them. I have to say that I have had a bad year so far. SZ was one of the first to flower but not all the flowers did set. Now the weather has improved and more fruits are setting and growing.

Happy Gardening !
Old July 31, 2016   #15
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Hi RJ,
Yes indeed and thanks. Right now it has a large tomato ( ~ 8 oz ?) and more smaller ones. My Azoychka is about the situation.
So I will report more on them. I have to say that I have had a bad year so far. SZ was one of the first to flower but not all the flowers did set. Now the weather has improved and more fruits are setting and growing.
I will be interested to hear what you think of SZ. The April picture of your beds you posted looked so positive, so it is sad to hear things are not so good now. For me it is my worst season ever - five hail storms, each producing varying amounts of damage (the 5th one was tonight), and an infection of tomato curly top which took out over half of the production of my plants. Here is a picture of my son holding a hailstone during yesterday's storm - one of the bigger ones. There are small craters in the open soil where they hit - I took pictures so we'll see if they show it well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hail.JPG (20.0 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; July 31, 2016 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Edits to add tonight's 5th damaging hailstorm. :-)