Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2016   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default Carolyn and Shawn 2016 Seed offer

SPOILER ALERT,THIS IS NOT THE SEED OFFER

The seed offer will appear in the Trade Forum as usual,where no trades are needed, except as others who have participated know, that if anyone has a preferably family tomato heirloom that has not been widely distributed, that I'd love to get it and in return as thanks offer seeds for a few varieties to that person, their choice.

There are lots of new members here,so let me introduce Shawn, Farmershawn here at Tville who is taking over the hard part of my seed offer,thank heavens. I will still be doing the germination and Fall performance threads.

For several reasons, both personal and otherwise for both of us,it's too late to get seeds out to be sown for this summer. So what we're going to do is to get the offer up in late summer or early Fall.

Another reason for doing this thread is b/c in the past few months I've seen the user names here of quite a few whom I know are looking for the offer as they do each year.And actually some who followed me here from the AOL tomato forum in the 80's and in addition I've been getting PM's about the same.

Yet another reason is to let those who sent seeds already processed know what is happening, and your seeds are safe and sound.

Actually no one has seen the seeds to be offered from 2014 seed production, that will be there as well in addition to the ones produced in the summer of 2015. I still haven't decided whether to delete ones produced previously,I need to inventory and see what that situation is.

Again,for those who are new, I fell in Dec of 2004,so no more growing many hundreds of plants/varieties each year,and severed all four quads in my right thigh and have had to use a walker since then,and now am homebound as well.That's when I was able to find some wonderful folks to help do seed production,my job was to find seeds for varieties that would be new to most folks.

And I've been very successful in doing that and it's led to many friends in many countries as well as the US.

Just a few weeks ago I finished sending seeds for growout this summer to my now 7 seed producers since I had so many new ones,I think something like 44 new ones, and many of those seeds,actually most,came from Tville members in different countries. and that was a job since some chose the same varieties,so there were duplicates to be considered,etc.

I will put up another thread before the seed offer with some instructions on how to participate b'c what's in the WORD Doc now I want to change and/or delete..

Lastly,if you have any questions,please ask,but also know that there is something mysterious going on with my computer,I contacted my local computer man and friend,he made a suggestion,it didn't work and he's down south on vacation with his wife and said he'd be in touch.

All to say that I hope I can get online tomorrow,fingers crossed, since I did it this AM rather unconventially ,if you will.

Carolyn
Old April 21, 2016   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Waiting some what impatiently
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update Carolyn.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Waiting some what impatiently
And no more impatiently than I am after I sent you seeds for Podorok Fei and Joe's Pink Currant for the project you were going to do.

Waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting to hear back , but alas,nothing.

Carolyn,who forgets very little you know.
Old April 21, 2016   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
And no more impatiently than I am after I sent you seeds for Podorok Fei and Joe's Pink Currant for the project you were going to do.

Waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting to hear back , but alas,nothing.

Carolyn,who forgets very little you know.
I do know. I have plants of Joe's Pink Currant this year as well as Heartbreaker but none of the Podorok Fei seeds have germinated in two seperatw plantings. I may have to source some more seed. I do however have several smaller fruited hearts in my garden this year to try to accomplish similar results. I have not forgotten just been delayed due to unforseen circumstances.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Caroline, I hope this means you will be able to get new seed produced for your offer from my Zena's Gift? If not, let me know please and I will grow it out for seed and offer it for next year
Looking forward to your offer as always,
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #7
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

I would like to participate as well but maybe I am too new? Is there anything I need to do now?
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

10 push-ups for starters
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #9
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Anxious to see what's available.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Caroline, I hope this means you will be able to get new seed produced for your offer from my Zena's Gift? If not, let me know please and I will grow it out for seed and offer it for next year
Looking forward to your offer as always,
Karen
Karen,just looking at my data book right now to confirm it was Neil L who was working with it last summer.He was,but lost all of the 20 I sent him seeds for and about 60 of his own new ones. All due to unrelenting rain they had in IL last summer.

We talked on the phone about it and I see that Zena's Gift was the first one he chose off my list,and next to it I see OK,which means he still had some seeds left to work with,so that's good.

I need to contact him anyway,so will reconfirm that.

He's been one of my best seed producers for many years,and I know he has a boatload of new ones from our group e-mail that he chose for growout this summer,but want to confirm he'll also be growing Zena again as well as the other ones I have OK after them which includes SgtPepperr, Samorodoc and Roose Hild.

Neil is also a listed SSE member,lists several hundreds in the annual yearbook,and my choice,but I stopped being a listed member last year so am funneling varieties to him and two others who are also listed SSE members, all three on the group e-mail for new ones to growout this summer,which will be great since the owners of many seed sites are also SSE members and that helps ensure that new varieties will get out there.

I've already sent seeds to Mike at Victory Seeds and will do the same for Glenn Drowns at Sandhill for trial this summer and I must do Glenn's this weekend.

Carolyn, who also had to pack up seeds for Rob,the local person who raises seedlings for me and himself,,one envelope says Rob only,another one says Carolyn only and the largest one says both Carolyn and Rob and don't ask me where I'm going to have Freda plant all those,b/c there are many new ones no one knows about right now and I just HAD to see what they were like.And there's one where the person who sent it to me said do NOT share seeds of this,or else,yes Sir,I heard you.
Old April 22, 2016   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylasue View Post
I would like to participate as well but maybe I am too new? Is there anything I need to do now?
No,nothing to do now at all.

I said above that when it gets near the time to put up the offer I'll do another thread here and give instructoions to those in the US and those not in the US as to how to proceed, that info is already given in past offfers ,but I want to delete/add to some of those older instructions. And when the seed offer is up I'll also move that link to the top of the seed offer as well.

Hopefully most questions will already have been answered.

Since the two seed subforums are only available to registered members,it goes without saying that anyone who decides to participate has to be a reginstered member.Well yes,it does go without saying,but I just said it.

Carolyn
Old April 22, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I do know. I have plants of Joe's Pink Currant this year as well as Heartbreaker but none of the Podorok Fei seeds have germinated in two seperatw plantings. I may have to source some more seed. I do however have several smaller fruited hearts in my garden this year to try to accomplish similar results. I have not forgotten just been delayed due to unforseen circumstances.
YES,I think I sent you Heartbreaker as well (small pink heart),thanks for reminding me.I'm sure I do have more Podorok Fei seeds, can't remember seed age right now,enough to double sow which should do the trick.

Delay due to unforeseen circumstances?

My life of late has been one unforseen circumstance after another,so much so that........

Carolyn,also glad that my alternative way of getting online worked again this AM.
Old April 22, 2016   #13
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

Do girl pushups count? If not give me a couple of days lol
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Nice and generous offer, that is hard to pass, but I have already planted out.
For the next season i don't know what I will be growing.

Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #15
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have saved seeds of Podorok Fei that I grew in 2013. PM your address if you want some. I haven't tested germination.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote