Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old April 3, 2013   #1
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default 2013 Herb Garden

Not to scale and not a finalized list. What herbs can you not do without?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Basil, Rosemary, Tarragon, Mint, Cilantro, Borage, Parsley

Those I would feel naked without.

But I actually try new herbs all the time.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; April 3, 2013 at 01:11 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Can't do without:
mints (chocolate and moroccan), garlic chives, parsley, oregano (mostly for the bees), lavender, plantain, nettles (winter crop), yarrow, echinacea, garlic, comfrey

Also like to grow:
lemon balm, sage, basil.
calendula, thymes, lemongrass, bronze fennel, chives, shiso, vietnamese cilantro, chamomile, mugwort, french tarragon, lemon verbena.
(do edible flowers count? I love violas and borage flowers in the spring and nasturtiums in the summer)

Would grow if I had enough room:
rosemary, bay leaves (one of the community gardens has a mediterranean bay tree)

Just about given up on:
cilantro (bolts too fast, if it survives the slugs and snails)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Agree with you on cilantro. Never leaving when you need it.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you call eating the leaves ,Moringa.Started a plant after neighbor gave me some leaves(and seeds) from his tree.Grows fast and it does make you feel better!
Old April 3, 2013   #6
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Chocolate mint, Marseilles Basil, Lemon Basil, Slo-Bolt Cilantro, Italian Parsley, Pineapple Sage and Garlic Chives! I'm planting a new variety of Marjoram this year called "Zaatar".

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic

Last edited by BucksCountyGirl; April 3, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Parsley, chives & cilantro! Btw, I found that Calypso outlasts Slobolt, Caribe or Santo and found that plants self sowed and overwintered here last year! I also had plants survive under glass along with the spinach that I usually keep there- less surprising than the ones in the open ground, of course. I love it, so I resow every few weeks along with lettuce, beets, carrots, etc.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

For me, the basics are basil, parsley, sage, oregano, lovage, thyme, and herb (aka "wild") fennel.

I too, have given up on cilantro. These days I buy a bunch when I need fresh cilantro, then chop the rest and freeze it in ice cube trays to use for cooking.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #9
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Besides my standard Slow Bolt Cilantro I am trialing a new variety this year called "Confetti" It has leaves similar to dill fronds and is supposed to be able to stand the heat a little better then the regular leaved varieties. We shall see...

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #10
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I've got one rosemary, a varigated sage, a sprawling oregano, a culantro plant (which doesn't look so hot in the ground so may start over), and containers of thyme, cilantro, and flat leaf parsley, along with some long boxes with dill, chives and cilantro in one, and what was supposed to be three different types of basil in the other. Turns out the older basil seeds I had were duds so I have some Genovese and some Red Rubin, a beautiful deep purple color. There's a little globe basil growing next to my paste tomatoes too.

I bought an orange mint plant, mostly because I am contemplating making a butterflied leg of lamb this weekend. Couldn't manage it for Easter as it was my sweetie's birthday and we were going out. I thought that might be a nice mint "add" for the dish.

Oh, and the Cuban oregano plant, which is in a large container. I keep that on the porch, as it's really a coleus and likes the partial shade. It's also sometimes called Spanish thyme. Intense oregano flavor and scent, but large thick fuzzy leaves, so I often add a few whole and pick them out rather than trying to chop them finely enough to hide the texture.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #11
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Ooh, some good suggestions!

Cilantro does poorly here as well with the heat and immediately bolts. It reseeds itself everywhere...lawn...cracks in the sidewalk...flower garden. The Confetti variety does better. I'll look for calypso as cilantro is one of our favorites. Dill does the same thing but I've got a fern leaf type which fares better.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old April 3, 2013   #12
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Chris, have you tried growing culantro? I guess some call it Mexican cilantro, but it's a very different type of plant - with broad leaves that look like they were cut with pinking shears. They impart a stronger flavor than cilantro. I usually find they hold up better. I think the only reason mine isn't doing well is that I planted it in the ground.

Here's a link to it pictured: Culantro on Onlyfoods.net
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #13
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Had not heard of it until your post. I will have to look for some!

I would also love to get some columnar non-flowering basil but have never seen it around here. We are pesto fanatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Chris, have you tried growing culantro? I guess some call it Mexican cilantro, but it's a very different type of plant - with broad leaves that look like they were cut with pinking shears. They impart a stronger flavor than cilantro. I usually find they hold up better. I think the only reason mine isn't doing well is that I planted it in the ground.

Old April 3, 2013   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post

AHA! So that's what that is! Here where I grow I have been finding many mysterious plants. I always suspected many of them are left-overs from the lady who farmsteaded the property years ago. That is one I found 2 years ago! Pity I didn't let some bolt and produce seeds.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #15
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Greek columnar basil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Had not heard of it until your post. I will have to look for some!

I would also love to get some columnar non-flowering basil but have never seen it around here. We are pesto fanatics.
http://www.companionplants.com/catal...basil&x=40&y=2
I looked high and low for seeds of the greek basil.Finally bought some plants that are 4ft.high now.Cuttings are real easy in just a glass of water.It has to seed eventually(been waiting for almost a year).Everyone says it is/was a cross from a long time ago and the only way to get more plants is thru cuttings.Chicken or the egg?Small leaves but plenty of them.Did get some camphor basil from same company that makes a real good tea for those winter cold and dreary days.Good luck.