Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 21, 2016   #1
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds of diseased plants

So my plants came down with what I think is bacterial spot/spec. They're still growing and producing and the tomatoes still turn out ok. But I took some cuttings from parts of the plants that weren't infected yet, they've been rooting in a jar of water for the last 8 days and one is starting to show the same specs/spots. I figured this would've happened but it led to me to think about the seeds i've been saving from these plants.. Would they be compromised as well?
Blake_HTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #2
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Bacterial speck, spot and canker can all be seed born. Bacterial spot can be removed from seeds by hot water treatment.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #3
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
Bacterial speck, spot and canker can all be seed born. Bacterial spot can be removed from seeds by hot water treatment.
I will look into that. If the water is too hot though, won't it kill the seed?
Old June 21, 2016   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

My personal practice and I think it is sound advice in all cases is not to save seed from any diseased plant. Seed is pretty easy to come by, especially OP seed and certainly if anyone intends to send seeds to anyone else. For your own personal use, if the variety is important to you then it is up to you. The other trouble is that by saving seeds from diseased plants we are perpetuating that trait of disease susceptibility in future generations. Conversely by saving seed from healthy plants, especially plants that seem to be unaffected by problems besetting other plants in the same garden you are selecting for disease resistance even if in an informal way, which can be very valuable down the road.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I would not risk saving seeds from diseased plants. I only have a short growing season for tomatoes and I would not want to risk losing my plants.

Even if it's a small risk, it would not be worth it to me.

Also, if I were you, I might select a variety that is resistant to Bacterial spot for next year and not perpetuate one that has already proved problematic.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #6
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I think that technically, it may be better to save seeds from infected plants, because then you know that the plant had the infection and survived. With an unblemished plant, we can't know whether or not the plant was infected. It could be random chance that caused it to miss getting infected.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #7
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Yeah for the most part I started saving seeds before I really noticed they were diseased. Now its really noticeable and im wondering if i should just toss them. thanks for the insight.
Old June 22, 2016   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
True, and then there are many threads here about that hot water treatment and most conclude let the commercial sources do it but don't try it at home.

It's also well known that some of the soilborne pathogens such as the various fusarium serotypes as well as Verticillium and some others can be seedborne and again,lots of threads here about that it terms of the best ways to get rid of most,never all,of those on the seed coat.

Carolyn