Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old July 8, 2012   #1
hank
Tomatovillian™

Default How's your garden?

I'm just missing some of the neatest people I have ever met. I truly believe that one's character is improved by growing tomatoes. So, you people of improved character, how are they growing? Mine? Not so good with a recent hailstorm and a late start. But with tomatoes there is always that futureness and hope. How is it going? Hank
Old July 8, 2012   #2
babice
Tomatovillian™

Oh - ooops! I just realized this thread is in the Magtag forum so I guess it was for Magtagites? Sorry! Deleting to get outta da way...

Last edited by babice; July 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: deleting silliness about "teenager" toms
Old July 8, 2012   #3
hank
Tomatovillian™

To Babice, I've learned how to make a Pina Colada that can give one brain freeze. After my hailstorm it appears as if someone grabbed the top 10 inches of the plants with both hands and squeezed. Now for the hope and future. I think of them as children also,
sort of.
Old July 9, 2012   #4
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Hi, everybody - My garden is fine; my particular neighborhood was spared much of the damage from the recent storms. I have several green 'maters and have picked a few ripe Sungolds.

Sorry that I haven't been around Tomatoville much, but I was laid off my job after 17-1/2 years last month, and found a new job a week later. So I've had two rather stressful life changes in a row. Also, my family finally convinced my Dad to go into assisted living, and we had to move him in. But everything is on for MAGTAG! Can't wait...
Old July 10, 2012   #5
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Default New here, want to attend event

Hi all,

This is my first year really doing a garden, all in homemade EB (18-gallon tote SIPs). I've grown upside-down tomatoes a few times in the past, but the SIPs are far surpassing any prior endeavors.

The ridiculous temps halted fruit set for a bit, but hopefully the current "cooldown" will help.

I only have one heirloom growing (Cherokee Purple), I have ~20 toms on it that are getting quite large, but all green at the moment. I am also growing 5 other hybrids. Since I'm new, wasn't sure what would/wouldn't work, would/wouldn't taste good (though anything NOT from the store will be good, IMO!), etc., so tried a bunch of different things and thought perhaps the hybrids would be more disease resistant.

I hope to attend the event, and perhaps meet some of you!
Old July 22, 2012   #6
gazpacho
Tomatovillian™

We've been eating small salad tomatoes for several weeks, but haven't garnered enough at one time to make my favorite summer tomato dish -- gazpacho! More serious threat than the weather is the number of wild critters in attack mode. This year I've pretty much circumvented the deer, but still have raccoons and chipmunks wiggling their way toward any ripe tomato....if they can possibly get at it

Lisa
Old July 22, 2012   #7
gazpacho
Tomatovillian™

Cecilia, sorry to hear about job loss and your wonderful Polish singing dad. Life goes on, but not always the way we want. Hope your garden gives you solace as well as delicious food. Lisa
Old July 23, 2012   #8
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

To Gazpacho and all my other Tomatoville friends - I've been so busy lately that I haven't had much time to post. Why? I found a new job a week and a half after I lost my old one! So I'm kind of stressed out by the training, deadlines, and just learning my way around. But MAGTAG is still on, and I'm hoping to have some ripe toms ... to tell you the truth, I don't even know what's ripening in my garden right now (besides Sungolds). Once this proposal deadline is over, maybe I'll go out and check. I am going to TRY to take August 17 off so I can cook bacon for the BLT bar ... Heck, I worked 13 hours today; they HAVE to give me a break! Anyway, thanks for all your good wishes, prayers, spells, vibes, etc. Something worked.
Old July 24, 2012   #9
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Can someone provide info on exactly what the event entails?

Thanks!
Old July 29, 2012   #10
annebert
Tomatovillian™

Default MAGTAG details

For Gayle and others who wondered
MAGTAG is a chance to taste and rate lots of different tomatoes, swap seeds, eat BLTs and lots of other goodies, taste homebrew, and meet other tomato wackos.
Old August 1, 2012   #11
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Gayle,

We all gather between 10AM and Noon and taste test tomatoes. We all bring a few and cut them up on plates and rate them. It is a chance to try different varieties and see what you like. If you like one you can probably get seed from the person that brought the tomato. I always try a few new types and bring them along.

We also bring side dishes that include desserts and tomato related dishes. In the end we determine what tomato folks liked best or the biggest and award folks.

Greg
Old August 1, 2012   #12
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Greg, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Just wanted to know what's expected/standard, so I'm not off in left field!

As mentioned, my only heirlooms are Cherokee Purple, the other 5 I planted were hybrids. So I may not have much to contribute!

Round one has wound down (55 tomatoes collected from three plants to date), but with the lower temps I have *tons* of tomatoes setting now (75+ on five plants at the moment). Not sure if any will be ripe by the event though.

Is it OK for newbies to just come and gawk (LOL)?
Old August 2, 2012   #13
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Gayle,

come no matter what but if you do have something to contribute it would be appeciated.

Greg
Old August 5, 2012   #14
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Just so you all know, hybrids are accepted for the tasting! After all, Sungold is a hybrid, and it's in the top 10 almost every year.