Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 25, 2019   #1
chidogs
Tomatovillian™

Default Wilting again

Once more, I planted my tomatoes in the ground, back patio, great afternoon sun. They grew beautifully for 6 weeks, around 3 ft now. And....the bottom leaves are turning yellow and just wilting away. This happens every time. Whether I am using pots or in the ground. I don't know why. I grew tomatoes for 20 years against my house in Covina, Ca (San Gabriel Valley, hot), and had awesome crops. But since moving to San Diego, (near the coast), I cannot get a good crop. I have decent green tomatoes formed but the plant is withering after looking beautiful. I waited until mid June to plant (got seedlings from Home depot), to avoid June gloom. And they looked so good. I am so frustrated. Ideas? I have neighbors who can grow them just fine, so it isn't just the location/weather.
chidogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Pictures?
There's usually two reasons why bottom leaves turn yellow (just solid yellow, not interveinal chlorosis or disease).
The first is lack of nitrogen, and the second is prolonged periods of being shaded. Bottom leaves that don't get any light will eventually be cut out from the plant.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019   #3
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Shouln't you be planting in February or something in San Diego?
arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2019   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

chidog, if your neighbors are growing them just fine why not ask them what they are doing that might be different from what you are doing. Since you are having this problem whether in ground or pots, then the soil isn't the problem. Could it be the fertilizer or when/how you are applying it? Could it be the watering? Again, compare notes with the neighbors as they might have grown in that zone longer than you have.
If at all possible, like anorrian suggested, try planting earlier next year. I am up the coast from you and I plant in March. May Gray and June Gloom are not really that bad for tomatoes. And why not just remove those bottom yellowing leaves since they aren't doing any good anyways? I grew using the single stem method this year and will never go back to not pruning.

You still have a few more good months of growing season. Good luck!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2019   #5
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
I grew using the single stem method this year and will never go back to not pruning.
Can you elaborate?

Do you grow in containers/ earthboxes (I think)? Staking? All tomatoes or just the large ones?

Anything else that you can think of.

Thanks,
Barb
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote