Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 13, 2012   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Aji Amarillo Peppers, not one flower!

I have two Aji Amarillo Pepper plants outside. Both are tall, about 2-1/2 feet I'd guess, and look fine. Except all of the other pepper plants have flowered and produce fruit, and I have never had even one blossom on this one. Is there some special trick I am missing? Something I'm supposed to do ? lol

It's so odd that they look fine, with the exception of not one pepper or even a flower with a hope of a pepper.

Any suggestions?
Old August 13, 2012   #2
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

I had that issue with my Corni di Toro plant for a while, but it finally produced some flowers recently so I'm thinking i'll get a late crop out of it. I seem to always have issues with sweet peppers producing flowers in a timely fashion
Old August 13, 2012   #3
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

well, it's just odd that everything else has produced peppers for me already, and this one has nothing at all.

Now that I think of it, it is in a bed that did have evergreens prior, and I cannot remember if I added any lime. If the pH is too low, I wonder if that would be the problem?
Old August 15, 2012   #4
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Maybe one of the pepper pros will weigh in with some first hand experience, but I think some of the hot peppers seem to require more than one growing season when grown in the zones we're in. I'd dig them up and put them in pots when it gets a bit later in the autumn. Get them the sunniest spot you can inside, nurse them through the winter and then put them outside next spring. I suspect they'll go like gangbusters next year.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2012   #5
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I'm no pro, but I do believe C. baccatum has a longer growing season than C. annuum. Just my experience from growing Lemon Drop(a C. baccatum) a few times.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2012   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I never grew many peppers before, so this year I started seeds indoors in end of February. I would think that by now something should have happened. ugh. Maybe the soil is too acidic. I had evergreens in that bed for years until we ripped them out after a storm.
Old August 18, 2012   #7
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Aji's can take a long season, like 180-200 days or more, so maybe they start budding before long. Full sun or dappled shade? Some like it a little shady.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote