Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 20, 2013   #16
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pretty good example of the principle, using nursery flats.

urban gardener nursery pot

You just flip the pot upside down in the bottom of the water tight bucket or pot, leaving a substantial area around the edges for dirt to act as a "wick". Cut a hole in the nursery pot for an intake pipe (I used pvc), cut a hole in the outside and through the nursery pot for an overflow pipe (same pvc), and you're done.

Wish I could say how well mine worked, but they are hidden behind a jungle (Cherokee Purple!) and guarded by a dragon (skink).
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013   #17
elight
Tomatovillian™

That's a really interesting - and definitely much easier - approach. I do wonder, however, if using such a large volume of soil as the wicking agent could be harmful (there have been similar discussions here previously). Also, I'd be concerned about so much water sitting in soil where roots are... I've had so many problems the past two years with roots getting into my water reservoir (and this soaking up way too much water, resulting in watery tomatoes). Looking forward to hearing how yours do this year!
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013   #18
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I'm not too worried about the dirt going sour or the roots rotting, since I didn't leave a ton of space around my nursery pots. A bit less than I should have, since the outer pot I used had curved sides. I don't think I'd put a tiny tiny pot inside a large container, though.

After I packed the mix down around the pot, I put a piece of mesh cut from an old window screen down on top of the inverted nursery pot, since I read Raybo did that and it helped prevent hydroponic tasting tomatoes.

My thought is that the airspace provided by the overflow tube helps keep the soil fresh. Will know when I replant in a month or two.
Old May 21, 2013   #19
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
What type of design are you talking about here? I'm interested in how you can do this, with a reservoir, with just one bucket.

To answer tlintx's question about wicks instead of a wicking basket... yes, you could certainly do that. It seems many people have done so successfully, I've just never done it myself, so I can't really speak to the pros and cons. I would love if someone could share their experience using wicks instead of a wicking basket! And maybe Raybo could chime in as to why he chose the wicking basket for the EarthTainer instead of wicks.
This forum needs a web address attached to photos. Shortly I'll be getting a Photobook account and will be able to show you. Its very easy.

Terry
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #20
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
I'm not too worried about the dirt going sour or the roots rotting, since I didn't leave a ton of space around my nursery pots. A bit less than I should have, since the outer pot I used had curved sides. I don't think I'd put a tiny tiny pot inside a large container, though.

My design doesn't involve another pot in the bottom, the bucket is the reservoir.

After I packed the mix down around the pot, I put a piece of mesh cut from an old window screen down on top of the inverted nursery pot, since I read Raybo did that and it helped prevent hydroponic tasting tomatoes.

What Raybo doesn't understand is that a SWC, or SIP is a Hydroponic system in its own right. Even is mentioned in the Bible, and is still used today all over the world.

The water gardens of Babylon, mentioned in the Bible were nothing more than a version of "Wicking Hydroponics". But don't ask any Hydroponic suppliers for wick systems, they most likely don't sell them. The main reason they don't is that they arn't a money maker, so they will just tell you a bunch of 1/2 truths why you need the more expensive systems.

All you need is to make a single 5 gl bucket shouldn't cost more than $12-$15 and most of the time less than that.

My thought is that the airspace provided by the overflow tube helps keep the soil fresh.

Air from the overflow hole won't mix with the stagnant soil mix. Now if you had a mechanical means to mix the air with the stagnant water, such as a air stone, maybe. So when you repot you will smell how rotten it is. But all you have to do is get down and take a smell from the fill tube in real time.

Will know when I replant in a month or two.
Old May 21, 2013   #21
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I shall be to plant tomatoes in containers never. But I like to dally with tomatoes: Lol:.
Pictures from 2012 year (1-5)
Two pictures from this year (Stupice..6-7)
Vladimír

PS.: Containe 5 l (1,3 gal)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mezidno s trubkou pro zalévání.jpg (202.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Netkaná folie na mezidno.jpg (211.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Ty?kové raj?e.jpg (222.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Minibell.jpg (225.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Rozmarýn a bazalka.jpg (250.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Stupice in 18.4.2013.jpg (188.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Stupice today morning.jpg (255.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; May 21, 2013 at 03:19 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #22
elight
Tomatovillian™

Terry, looking forward to seeing those pictures. Still not entirely clear on what this reservoir looks like.
Old May 21, 2013   #23
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I should correct my earlier statement - instead of "hydroponic" I meant "watery". Apologies if that confused anyone. I'm just an interested amateur.
Old May 22, 2013   #24
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Terry, looking forward to seeing those pictures. Still not entirely clear on what this reservoir looks like.

OK, I'm going to try the picture of a single 5 gl Gro-Bucket 5 gl buckets.jpg

Well, I can see it in the Preview, so I'll try to upload some of my Gro-Box's

004.jpg This is my Windowbox design, actually you have to have a windowsill at least 8'' deep to set it on.s

Hey, I'm on a roll here, check preview each time.

So here is a 8x24 Windowsill Gro-Box with 4 Herbs planted 006.jpg It's still working.

So how about a Lavender Gro-Box with 3 Provence plants in each 8x18'' box's 007.jpg This would be easier to place the pictures in the text you write, if the message box was the same width as the actural page.

So for now the pictures will be random in the message.

Next we have some 8x18 newly planted Windowsill Gro-Box's with Peppers in them, you can see the gaps for aeration and drainage between the wood slats, and the white fill pipe to fill the water reservoir. 010.jpg

My most favorite Grandaughter wanted to grow something, since she is my favorite, I built the for her. Its 10' long and holds four 25 gl feed tubs, each tub can be planted with 12 plants, top inside diameter is 21", the water reservoir holds 8 gls, and the planting compartment holds 18 gls of soil-less mix, there are 4 wicks per tub. All 4 tubs are watered by a 5 gl bucket with a float valve to keep a constant level of water in each tub, 24/7/365 25 gl TUB - 7.jpg They were installed on 7 Apr 13 in the new backyard of my son's house, the tubs are on a wooden rack to make all them level with each other. They were all filled with water and soil-less mix and sat there for 1 week so to sink in and were releveled.

They were planted on 14 Apr. My son remarked that the squash plants at $2.95 each only had 2-3 leaves, but everybody knows that "Bonnies Plants" are delivered that way to the retail stores. Did you know that they pick up those plants that don't sell in a certain time frame and credit the stores for them, now thats service.

Anyways this picture was taken 3 weeks later on 7 May, Jason Tubs 3 weeks 4.jpg

So to keep going, 8 Lettuce plants in a 8x24 Windowsill Gro-Box 824 Lettuce Gro-Box.jpg and 4 New Mexico Hybrid Chili Petin's in a 12x18 Herb Gro-Box 1218 Chili Gro-Box.jpg

1 of 4 Juried pictures of what my show booth would look like at Farmers Markets, Plant shows, and any other places I would go to sell my Gro-Box's
Assorted Gro-Box's.jpg

Better not leave out my Grandson's Gro-Box. 8' long x 2' deep x 15.5'' tall. 6'' deep water reservoir rated at 55 gls. The soil-less growing area of 15 s/f has 75 gls. It was raised off the ground so his dogs couldn't get to it and dig holes.
Thats me and my Grandson Wesley in the photo Grandsons Gro-Box 2.jpg I, actually got him to work, his mother and father were surprised about that.

So for now, I've uploaded all the photos, previewed them, just like the tutorial said from the owner of this forum.

Terry Layman
Old May 22, 2013   #25
elight
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Terry, for the detailed posts and all of the great photos! I am very jealous of the many plants you have growing, and I'm glad to hear that this system is so effective for you. At the end of the season, I'd love to also see some photos of the inside of some of the planters, so I can see what exactly the reservoirs look like.

I'm using the same system you are with the float valve to control the water to the EarthTainers. Very effective and relatively simple.
Old May 22, 2013   #26
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
At the end of the season, I'd love to also see some photos of the inside of some of the planters, so I can see what exactly the reservoirs look like.
Anything above the reservoir top will have soil-less mix, there won't be any smelly rotten soil-less mix or media mix in the reservoir.

I don't have drain or have aeration holes in the reservoir top, they are drilled into the side of the container were they do a much better job of draining and aeration.

I, even have a way to install 3/4" diameter aeration tunnels, or what you might call giant earthworm tunnels, thru the media mix that will stay most of the growing season, and takes on the principle of air flowing around and thru an object.

Terry Layman
Old May 22, 2013   #27
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

To all that want to read and see how I build and one 5 gl bucket SIP, SWC, or whatever you call them, I started a new thread titled

5 gl Gro-Bucket using only 1 bucket, its in the Container Gardening forum

Thanks

Terry Layman.
c/o Herbs Mint 4-U
Owner, Operator, and Chief bottle washer.
Natalia, TX 78059
210-240-6010
herbgrobox@gmail.com

Tags
los angeles