Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 1, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A Bark Fine is a fine you receive when your dog barks too much.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
A Bark Fine is a fine you receive when your dog barks too much.

Worth

Since I'm starting afresh this year I've been reading about the 'fines' and other parts of a mix. I had doubts about bark for two reasons - because in the garden our local barks are very slow to break down and tie up nitrogen in the process, and secondly because as Kurt observed, shredded bark is a 'find' to the ants... they love it.
Anyway I found this page which talks about some trials of mixes in eastern Canada ie so often a lovely wet and cold place - and they agreed, fines weren't great in a tomato seedling mix, the young plants did better without them.
http://www.organicagcentre.ca/Newspa...otting_mix.asp
That is in the northern climate of course.

I think some types of hardwood bark would probably be great - they may break down faster and need to be replaced, but that's better than having stuff to last longer and suck up your ferts.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone heard anything bad about cocoa shells in a container m

The Wonder Soil mix is made from coconut coir.If your referring/asking about coconut shells,I am certain "coir"is processed coconut husks

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/coir-bricks/40-358.html

http://gardening.about.com/od/soil/ss/What-is-Coir.htm

Last edited by kurt; January 1, 2016 at 08:24 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2016   #19
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
The Wonder Soil mix is made from coconut coir.If your referring/asking about coconut shells,I am certain "coir"is processed coconut husks

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/coir-bricks/40-358.html

http://gardening.about.com/od/soil/ss/What-is-Coir.htm
Hi-

No, cocoa shells are from the processing of cocoa beans, used to make chocolate, etc. Nothing to do with coconuts/coir.

The shells are thin, and as processed, the pieces are roughly the size of a dime to maybe a nickel. A supposed advantage to these is that they are at least nitrogen-neutral as they decompose.

-GG

Edit: I bought a bag of both pine bark mini-nuggets and cocoa bean shells yesterday. These shells are actually smaller than I described maybe 1/8" to 3/8" typical. $3.98 for a 2 ft3 bag at Menards. One bag should make a lot of container mix! I also found that our nearby mulch manufacturer/garden center has several different soil-less mixes that they sell by the bag or yard. Several look quite promising.

Last edited by Greatgardens; January 4, 2016 at 09:19 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #20
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default A Cocoa Shell(Husk) field report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Today I needed to stop at Menards, so while I was there, I looked at their Pine Bark Mini Nuggets and also their Cocoa Shell Mulch. Of the two, and just based on physical size/shape, it sure looks like the cocoa shell would work extremely well in a container mix. I asked before, and got no takers, but let me ask again a different way. Has anyone heard anything bad about cocoa shells in a container mix?
I understand that there is an issue for using them as mulch if you have dogs around, but using them in a container mix certainly poses no risk to animals. Anyway, I have a fenced yard, although that doesn't stop the racoons!
I think I'll try some of each in my EarthBox mixes this coming summer, assuming I hear nothing bad about the cocoa.
-GG
I managed to try some as a top (decorative)mulch for the wifes delicate potted flowers,herbs etc.Warning came with the bags regarding a possibility of a white gray mold that may appear and can be knocked down with a vinegar spray.After the mold is contained it has a nice odour and sheen to it.Will try some as a mix this Sept.Will try to find out if mold is beneficial and maybe shells are a good medium for beneficials in the future.I use some of the cannabis blogs as reference and nothing came up in their practices/regimens.Some of them guys have really amped up the knowledge and methods for regular garden techniques.