Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 21, 2016   #1
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default pinching growing tip of pepper seedlings

Some of my pepper seedling that I transferred into solo cups a couple weeks ago are growing very tall, namely Padron and Jimmy Nardello. They have 5 sets of leaves. If I pinch out the growing tip will it help to produce a bushier plant? Is this beneficial?
I have read conflicting info. on the subject. I would appreciate any advice/experience from all you pepper people out there.

Thanks!

Jillian
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Jillian... Personally, I wouldn't do it. I tried it once and I waited and waited and waited for ever to get peppers and I didn't think the bush really got any bushier. To me the plants I did were more stressed than anything, trying to make new branches.

Now how true this is, I don't know, but I usually check my plants and so far have found it to be true, that the pepper plants won't even start to make peppers til they " Y" , so if you cut the tops, you setting yourself back and if you have a short season, you may not even get any peppers or only a few.

Maybe others will jump in. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I grow jimmy nardello and they are generally not too tall. I would make sure they are getting enough light and if they are still indoors, put a fan on them to shake them around.

Last edited by Stvrob; March 22, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #4
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Im no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I believe the key is too start your peppers early. And I mean really early. Like November. Then about January you could start pinching the plant back.

Have been wanting to try it for the last couple of years but never seem to get around to it.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #5
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I grow jimmy nardello and they are generally not too tall. I would make sure they are getting enough light and if they are still indoors, put a fan on them to shake them around.
Last year, I just blew on the young seedlings through a straw once a day, or brushed my hand over them, and they grew stocky. Peppers tend to branch pretty well naturally, so I don't think much would be gained by pinching the tip... but if the plants are getting too tall, it probably would not hurt to do so. Most likely, the worst that can happen is that pruning might push the DTM back a bit.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
Last year, I just blew on the young seedlings through a straw once a day, or brushed my hand over them, and they grew stocky. Peppers tend to branch pretty well naturally, so I don't think much would be gained by pinching the tip... but if the plants are getting too tall, it probably would not hurt to do so. Most likely, the worst that can happen is that pruning might push the DTM back a bit.
Hadn't thought about using a straw before. Thanks for the tip.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #7
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I have done it with pepper plants many times, and lots of other plants as well. I usually just pinch off the meristem instead of topping like lots of pepper growers prefer (unnecessary damage IMO). Growth slows on the main stem but side shoots get a boost. I will do this several times before they start to flower. I believe this results in a plant better-suited to container growing, and having stronger branches. I also do this with my tomato plants near the end of the season to limit new growth and encourage ripening of the fruit already set.

That said, I have never done this when my plants are as young as yours, and definitely not on a plant still in a solo cup. I pinch off the growing tip of plants that are 3-4' tall and in their final container. Smaller varieties like serrano or lemon drop don't ever need it, because they don't get much over 4' for me.

Some varieties, like Corno di Toro last season, don't seem to respond well to the procedure. That cultivar may simply be a poor choice for 5-10 gallon containers. I had a few in 3 gallons as well and those only produced half a dozen peppers each.

I have no data to determine whether I actually yield more or am just wasting time. I have attempted to accurately weigh total harvest per plant in the past, and found it rather tedious, when I could eat them instead.

Last edited by fonseca; March 30, 2016 at 02:40 AM.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote