Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 27, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Beets in containers

Has anybody happened to have grown or tried growing beets in a containers before? I was reading on the back of a package and it said the roots were 3-4" deep. I have lots of 3 1/2" by 3 1/2" pots, but I have no idea how wide the roots of plants will get. Will that size be big enough to grow and harvest them in or do I need to go a bit deeper and wider do you think?

First time, finally getting around to trying beets. Hate that I have too bad of soil and too many critters under the ground that eat anything and everything, so gotta try in pots.

Oh and I forgot to ask. Do people eat the leaves too or just the beet part?

Thanks!

Last edited by Starlight; May 27, 2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: another question
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #2
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I grow beets in containers, I use Rubbermaid oblong boxes so mine are pretty big but that way I can grow any beet I like. If you use smaller ones give them depth, the beets tap root will go down well beyond the bulb itself. You could sow them fairly close and as they grow thin them , you can use the thinnings as baby greens with it without a small bulb on and then thin again and use the thinnings as greenery and baby beets, leaving the last one sot grow to full size. There are varieties made for baby beets. Aim for 3 inches between plants, more if you want bigger beets. Oh and I would buy the type that is a mono seed as it saves thinning
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #3
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Look for beet seeds that grow small. Some types grow huge that are not suitable for containers...you won't get a crop from those because you won't have enough space.

It grows really rapidly alongside garlic.

Last edited by KC.Sun; May 27, 2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've only grown Detroit Dark Red beets. They don't have a huge root system and would grow in a container. I think 3 1/2" by 3 1/2" pots would be too small though.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad I decided to ask before I sowed the seeds. Thank you both Jeannine Anne and KC. Sun. : ) Always kinda scary learning to grow a new veggie, for me anyways.

I have some 4 3/4" x 4 1/2" pots so I think I will use those since you say they have a bigger taproot.

Now I just need to remember where I laid the baggy with all the beet seeds in it. I read somewhere that they are supposed to be really healthy for you and gathered a bunch of different colors and names. I think they all are the kind where I will have to thin as they look like a bunch of tiny nuggets glued together.

Good to know about some not being for containers. I'll have to check over what I have.

If you don't mind, a few more questions. What about water? Do I keep them moist or on the dry side. We in the 90's+ and high humidity already. Should I grow them in some partial shade. How about fertilizer too. Do I have to feed them alot? What do you feed yours?
Old May 27, 2016   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I've only grown Detroit Dark Red beets. They don't have a huge root system and would grow in a container. I think 3 1/2" by 3 1/2" pots would be too small though.
Bread and butter. Guess you had posted while I was still trying to type.

I have seed of the Detroit Dark Red too. Was going to throw a few of them in the mix too. Thanks Salt! Those I will make sure I have a bit bigger container for.

Oh and somewhere I read that it takes beets a year or more before they make beets. Is that true?
Old May 27, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

None that I've read about. They are a cool season crop. Here's link I have used in the past http://www.almanac.com/plant/beets There is one popup but it's quick to click out of.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #8
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I'm so glad I decided to ask before I sowed the seeds. Thank you both Jeannine Anne and KC. Sun. : ) Always kinda scary learning to grow a new veggie, for me anyways.

I have some 4 3/4" x 4 1/2" pots so I think I will use those since you say they have a bigger taproot.

Now I just need to remember where I laid the baggy with all the beet seeds in it. I read somewhere that they are supposed to be really healthy for you and gathered a bunch of different colors and names. I think they all are the kind where I will have to thin as they look like a bunch of tiny nuggets glued together.

Good to know about some not being for containers. I'll have to check over what I have.

If you don't mind, a few more questions. What about water? Do I keep them moist or on the dry side. We in the 90's+ and high humidity already. Should I grow them in some partial shade. How about fertilizer too. Do I have to feed them alot? What do you feed yours?

You'll want to grow in the sun. I've tried both in the sun and in the shade. It doesn't grow in the shade and the seeds rot very quickly.

You'll want to keep the soil moist but not overwatered.

Birds like to snip at them, so you'll want to watch out for those.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

You'll want to wait until fall. Check a planting calender for your area. They may even grow through winter for you.
I would use an 8-12" container with some holes drilled in the bottom. Keep moist but not soggy. You have to thin because each seed is actually a cluster of seeds. The greens are as good or better than the roots.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #10
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

They don't like the shade.

If you were sowing in the ground you would want to aim for 1/2" deep at sowing time,2-3 inches apart in rows 12-18 inches apart in , you would then thin the plants to 3-6 inches apart for full grown beets, but in a tub you cannot expect that, sow the same depth and aim for a 4 inch spacing for baby beets.. if you want to try to get big full size ones you will have to follow more to the ground rules and that means a huge tub. What I am quoting I do all the time. You have to be there thinning though .I don't want huge roots. I sow frequently, about every three weeks, and throughout the season so my beets never need any more spacing than quoted. ROOT SIZE IS CONTROLLED BY SPACING so you get what you sow for, in a tub you don't have a lot of choices. You can pick them at any size so if you feel they are a bit tight, take every other one out and eat it, greens and all.

In my area I can sow until mid July for outside , but then I carry on in the greenhouse. They don't like cold so sowing must be between 50 and 80 to germinate.

What looks like one beet seed is actually a cluster of seeds so when you sow do so thinly.This is why I suggested you get a mono variety that is not still in a cluster.

Pick a quick maturing one Boro is a good choice, but unless a very late one most will work well, examples are Red Ace,Merlin,Early Wonder, avoid the cylindrical ones unless you containers are very deep. Detroit Supreme and Rhonda are good but slower growing. Boro is very sweet, quick to grow and even at full maturity is only a medium size beet.

They like water and will not grow well if dry and if they do they may be woody.

Ones that don't bolt easily are probably a good choice if your weather is very hot, I have never grown in extreme heats so can't help you on that.

That is about the sum total of what I know and what I do.. hope it helps.

We eat a lot of beets, it is actually my favorite veggie so it gets a lot of consideration here..

XX Jeannine

Since writing the above, I just went through a seed catalogue for varieties maturation times as you mentioned a year.. Your varieties for your area may be different though..

Boro is the earliest, shown in my book at 50 days and the longest at 70 days is Cylindra it ties with Rhonda. The most known ones are somewhere in between.

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 27, 2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: extra info
Old May 29, 2016   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I've tried and did not succeed, but I know some people have had success with this.
(I had my seedlings attacked by the buterfly population ...)
Carrots - no problem.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I appreciate all the information from everybody. : ) It is all a big help. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn to grow them. When I , crossing fingers, get my plants to start growing, I'll show you. That way you all can tell me if I am doing it right or not.

If I get the cultivars I have to grow, then I'll look for the ones mentioned. Only beets I have ever eaten are the ones from a can, the sliced ones and those really sweet candied ones in a jar. Never had just a fresh beet before.
Old May 30, 2016   #13
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Well when you have so many that you don't know what to do with them I will give you a recipe for pickled beets !
Old May 30, 2016   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

If you have time to soak the seeds overnight, it will speed up the germination by leaps and bounds. I have them growing inground in morning only sun, fingers crossed.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Well when you have so many that you don't know what to do with them I will give you a recipe for pickled beets !
Great! I'd appreciate that. Of course whatever I try and make somehow never seems to taste as good as what somebody else makes, but I try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
If you have time to soak the seeds overnight, it will speed up the germination by leaps and bounds. I have them growing inground in morning only sun, fingers crossed.

- Lisa
Good tip! Thanks for that! Every little bit of knowledge helps.