Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 19, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default What pepper has..

a Scoville unit of a million? Anybody happen to know? I was watching this cooking show at neighbors house of these places that make some of the hottest chili and other foods that would send most folks to the hospital they so hot.

This one place that they said serves the hottest meal from anywhere's said they use a special pepper that has a million scoville unit on it. They wear these big protective gas masks with face masks to work with these peppers. They wouldn't say what the pepper was as it is their secret ingrediant. I didn't think there was to many types out there hotter than the Scorpions and Morguga's.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2016   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

bhut jolokia aka ghost peppers? who is crazy enough to actually like these things?

carolina Reaper.

Last edited by clkeiper; June 19, 2016 at 10:03 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2016   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I grow and use Carolina Reapers. They are closer to 2 million scoville and they are nasty hot.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There are several peppers that go over one million.
The record Carolina reaper is around two million two hundred thousand.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
bhut jolokia aka ghost peppers? who is crazy enough to actually like these things?
I like ghost peppers put in things.

Worth
Old June 19, 2016   #6
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Ghost peppers are tasty! They have a definite fresh berry note, then your soft palate melts and runs over your lower teeth. Bhut jolokia (ghost) is nominally a little over 1M SHU, but typical examples are probably somewhat less.

There are several other varieties that are nominally hotter than ghosts. Trinidad Scorpions, various 7 Pots can get up to 2M SHU. So far the king is the Carolina Reaper with a championship score of 2.2M SHU. But while I like hot peppers, the Reaper is just too hot for me to enjoy, and has no redeeming qualities like the Ghost.

Remember, heat is comparable by the pod, not by the variety. The only SHU "scores" that are real are the ones that are established by the testing labs. All other pods are probably considerably lower in heat.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2016   #7
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Darn. I forgot about the super-secret Guatemalan Insanity Pepper.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Guate...nsanity_Pepper
Old June 19, 2016   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BceHGzsDVLY I had to.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Wow! I didn't realize the Carolina Reaper was so hot. Glad you all said so. I have seeds for it that I was getting ready to start. Will make sure I have double gloves on to handle it.

Too hot for me to eat is most hot peppers, but love growing Ghost Pepper plants. Seems nothing seems to bother them and they keep on producing. I give my peppers to a friend that takes and puts them in jars and puts some sort of clear looking liquid over them to make a pepper sauce they shake on foods.

You would think that these super hots would eat away vital oragns over time in the body. I read somewhere that the hots kill bad bacteria and such in the body, but you would think that they would destroy good and bad.

Those of you who do eat these super hots, what do you eat or drink afterwards to cool the body down and prevent damage?

They should this one place that served something called Fireballs. You got 5 of these fireball fritters on a plate with some of this super hot pepper sauce and if you could eat them all, you got your pic on the wall, a certificate of doing it and a free beer.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #10
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Starlight, don't worry about handling the intact pods. There is no capsaicin on the outside. OTOH, do be careful about handling the dried seeds. Capsaicin resides primarily in the cross-walls and placenta - the tissue around the seeds. While the seeds themselves contain almost none, there may well be some in the dried residual tissue on the surface.

Quote:
You would think that these super hots would eat away vital oragns over time in the body. I read somewhere that the hots kill bad bacteria and such in the body, but you would think that they would destroy good and bad.
Capsaicin is not corrosive. It stimulates the pain receptors directly. Nor is it an anti-bacterial. Think of it as a waxy spice.

Last edited by dmforcier; June 20, 2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: clarity
Old June 20, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Starlight, don't worry about handling the pods. There is no capsaicin on the outside. OTOH, do be careful about handling the seeds. Capsaicin resides primarily in the cross-walls and placenta - the tissue around the seeds. While the seeds themselves contain almost none, there may well be some in the dried residual tissue on the surface.

Capsaicin is not corrosive. It stimulates the pain receptors directly. Nor is it an anti-bacterial. Think of it as a waxy spice.
Actually capsaicin does have some anti microbial properties.
I just read about all of the different herbs and spices that do the other day.

Worth