Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 31, 2019   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default The garden is full now

Today I finished my grow bag garden I had planted 6 tomato plants Tiny Tim, Black Sea Man, Better Boy & Jet Star along with 3 varieties of lettuce about 2 weeks ago. Today I added some pepper plants 3 Jimmy Nardello, 1 Yolo, & 2 yellow sparkler, along with seeding Blue Lake pole beans & Spacemaster & Straight 8 Cukes and last but not least sowed some Kohlrabi. I still have 2 cabbage seedlings and 2 more Tiny Tim that should be ready to plant in 2 weeks. Glad the weather was cooperating made a lond morning planting much shorter.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019   #2
PlainJane

Sounds great Jetstar! My kohlrabi is a distant memory now ... what variety did you go with?
Old May 31, 2019   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

PlainJane its called Early White Vienna got the seeds from migardener.com, they claim it does well in containers. I'll let you know in late July mid August how they did.
Old June 19, 2019   #4
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

Jet star, did you ever try the bush or patio variety's? I was told they are more suited for containers
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2019   #5
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Ramapojoe, yes I did I have 4 Tiny Tim determinate tomatoes in small 2-1/2 gal. containers. All other tomato plants are in 7gal. grow bagsI'm trying Tiny Tim instead of Sweet 100's we'll see how the T.T.'s work out.
Old June 19, 2019   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

So your garden is about "in". Now the waiting begins.

Baker Creek has an old German kohlrabi variety called 'Blauer Speck' that has smaller leaves, allowing closer planting and thus suitable for containers. I tried and grew this last spring. They were gorgeous and tasty too. They supposedly are heat tolerant and did well but down here they would do even better in the fall.

https://www.rareseeds.com/blauer-speck-kohlrabi-/

However I've stopped growing all kohlrabi as I do turnips and they're kind of similar. One can have too many brassicas!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2019   #7
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

GoDawgs, Thanks for the link it too late this year but I now have agood source for these next year.
Old June 23, 2019   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Found a pic of Blauer Speck from last year. Grown in a raised bed. Tasty too!

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote