Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 27, 2018   #1
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Default Here's what killed my cukes

Last season my small garden was crowded almost exclusively with tomato plants. Since everybody in the family also likes cucumbers, I decided to plant four plants which by the way were assigned a pretty bad spot with not much light and under a plum tree.
With my surprise they didn't seem to bother the spot. Plants were vigorous, tall and full of flowers. We soon started to get the first fruits and everything seemed to be going in the right way. All of a sudden then, I noticed the stems were changing color and becoming brown. Eventually, fluffy, brushed-like mold started growing on top of each plants and the cucumbers started to distort (I stopped eating them, they looked gross). This thing was so fast that in less than a couple of weeks all of my cukes were dead.
This year I'm growing fewer tomato plants and I gave a better spot to my cucumbers. Nevertheless, some of the same symptoms appered a week a ago. After asking people who know more than I do and after doing some researches, it seems like my plants are being attacked by powdery mildew. By looking at the pictures that I'm attaching here I guess last year I was also dealing with Sclerotinia. The picture were my beautiful son and assistant is picking a cuke, shows leaves that are stained with the typical white spots of the Powdery mildew. Something I didn't notice at the time. The other pics show you the strange mold which was probably caused by sclerotinia.
This year no mold has appeared yet. But the leaves did have the same white spots again. I'm treating my plants with sulfur and it seems to work. At least the plants are not dead yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170716_09_36_17_Pro.jpg (292.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170727_07_53_29_Pro.jpg (346.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170727_19_06_02_Pro.jpg (406.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170727_19_06_10_Pro.jpg (409.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20170727_07_53_59_Pro.jpg (447.4 KB, 182 views)
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote