Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old June 23, 2013   #1
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Default Beans for Seed Colors

Why do seed catalogs tell the color of the beans sold for seed? Does it make some kind of difference or what?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #2
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Why do seed catalogs tell the color of the beans sold for seed? Does it make some kind of difference or what?
I can't say with positivity, but I have purple podded pole bean from two sources: one bean color is white the other is tan. I think because some varieties have different colored seeds depending on where they have been grown and how they have been selected for seed over time.

Also it could be that people pick seeds on what they look like- ie pretty colors in their mason jars to look at. (guilty!)

My grandmother-in-law told me I had the "tough" Kentucky wonder pole beans b/c they were the white seeded ones. She preffered another color.

I'm not a seed seller- this is just a guess.

Lindsey
linzelu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

There are a couple of reasons I can think of. First, dark seeded beans will germinate better in cool soil and light colored beans will germinate better in warm soil. Another reason has to do with canning. Dark seeded varieties can discolor your canning liquid, which doesn't look too appetizing in a glass jar.
Old June 24, 2013   #4
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Thank you both !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

"Pretty colors in their mason jars to look at" is likely the #1 reason. The seed catalogues know how to sell.

#2 is likely that several bean varieties have the same name, but have different colored seed (white, black, tan, etc...).

I don't think I've ever read anything in a catalogue about how colored beans germinate better than white beans in cool soil, though I'm well aware of it.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Gary, I have not seen that information in a catalog either, but it could be useful information for someone considering buying a certain variety of seed. That's all I meant.