Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2017   #46
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I almost forgot about the eastern favourite called Prekos. It's an F1 from Bulgaria. It is truly early, like really surprisingly early and the taste is really good. I have no doubt there is no other tomato that combines earliness with taste so well. Size is not small, slightly pointed, roundish, 100-200 grams, beautiful pink-ish interior.
Not sure why it hasn't caught on in other parts, maybe because of that f1 tag. It is really inexpensive however, probably just no western seed vendors saw any need to bring it in their catalogues.
If anyone wants seeds you can probably contact one of the easter countries vendors (like Romania) to see if they want to ship in other countries. 1 gram is like 2 euro, so a ton of seeds for almost nothing. I also saw one uk seller on ebay selling them in packs, with shipping only to uk, but probably could be convinced to ship out.
It's a must try really, especially for a small commercial grower.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #47
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The "best" tasting determinate that I've trialed is Efimir. But, I'm not going to describe "best".
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #48
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Zipcode, thank you for the information. I want to grow some Bulgarian tomatoes next year and Perkos F1 looks promising.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #49
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I almost forgot about the eastern favourite called Prekos. It's an F1 from Bulgaria. It is truly early, like really surprisingly early and the taste is really good. I have no doubt there is no other tomato that combines earliness with taste so well. Size is not small, slightly pointed, roundish, 100-200 grams, beautiful pink-ish interior.
Not sure why it hasn't caught on in other parts, maybe because of that f1 tag. It is really inexpensive however, probably just no western seed vendors saw any need to bring it in their catalogues.
If anyone wants seeds you can probably contact one of the easter countries vendors (like Romania) to see if they want to ship in other countries. 1 gram is like 2 euro, so a ton of seeds for almost nothing. I also saw one uk seller on ebay selling them in packs, with shipping only to uk, but probably could be convinced to ship out.
It's a must try really, especially for a small commercial grower.
Do you know of any online retailer of tomato seeds PREKOS F1. I would like to buy the seeds of this variety.
I was looking for an internet seller of the seeds of this tomato. Romanian sellers sell only in Romania, Bulgarians only in Bulgaria.
Vladimír
Old July 5, 2017   #50
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Either you can ask them if they can ship it outside, also there's a seller on ebay.uk. It says shipping to uk, but you could also ask him if he ships outside.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #51
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

I don't grow a lot of determinates, but I will throw in another vote for Maglia Rosa. By far the best tasting compact OP I've grown.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #52
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Isn't Rutgers a determinate? Never grown them, but they carry a good name.
There are determinate, semi determinate, and indeterminate cultivars of Rutgers. The problem is that most the determinate cultivars don't taste like the original.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #53
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I was looking at ebay.uk. They do not deliver to the Czech Republic. But it's not a determinant, but a semideterminant. For me unsuitable.
Vladimír
Old July 10, 2017   #54
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

UFL is breeding for flavor, finally.
Garden Gem may be det, but habit is not listed explicitly in description.
Garden Treasure is indet.

For a small donation you can get seeds of their project.
I have some somewhere, but haven't grown them yet.

http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #55
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
UFL is breeding for flavor, finally.
Garden Gem may be det, but habit is not listed explicitly in description.
Garden Treasure is indet.

For a small donation you can get seeds of their project.
I have some somewhere, but haven't grown them yet.

http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html

Last year, Garden Gem was a so-so producer in the field, but this year it has produced like mad! Early in the season, I would tell my wife I harvested and her question was always "What did you get besides Garden Gem?" Not because we don't love them, but because we had some ripe EVERY harvest. And that was with just a half dozen plants.

I recommend anyone who has the means should give it a try.
Save

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #56
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew Sasha's Altai. It was memorably good tasting, sweeter than other early determinates I've tried. However, it was the 1st to get powdery mildew but it was a bad growing year last year. This year I am trying Gregori's Altai and 0-33.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sasha%27s_Altai

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; July 10, 2017 at 05:27 PM.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018   #57
macmex
Tomatovillian™

I suspect that climate affects flavor. We live in an area with extremes. Our growing season gets really hot, though we have prolonged spring and fall weather, which is moderate. Sioux has been a favorite of mine for going on 10 years. It has a wonderful acidic flavor, what I call "old time tomato flavor." Its skin is thin, which I find pleasant for eating, but sometimes a challenge for harvest, as fruit will often rot if left to mature on the vine. I harvest when they break color and let them color up on the kitchen counter. I never tire of Sioux.

This year I tried Mocross. It is derived from Sioux crossed with Mozark. It has a more durable skin but the same excellent flavor. I'd definitely call it determinate.

Sioux and Baker Family Heirloom have been my mainstays for years. I'm planning to add Mozark to my list of mainstays. What I don't know, is if it has the same flavor in a cooler environment.
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2018   #58
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Sioux or Super Sioux (or does it make any difference)?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote