Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2017   #16
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

round here a lot of produce goes by place of origin. i.e., "warren tomato," "cave city watermelon," "hope watermelon," etc...

there IS a warren tomato, but I don't think they grow that one there; the tradition dates back well over 100 years when that area switched from cotton to other produce.

kind of like "vadalia onion," or "hatch green chili."

I've often asked the grocery store produce manager and he doesn't know, just where they came from - and that goes for all the produce unless so labeled. You have to be a pretty diligent snoop to crack the case.

in addition, due to disease prevalence here, I know some ppl who do the market thing; but they hose their stuff down relentlessly with pesticides and fungicides & don't disclose. everyone likes the perfect looking fruit.

imo, if you want organic healthy fruit and vegetables, grow them yourself or know the person who does. same goes for fish, I won't eat fish from certain areas due to the pollution level and that crap they grow in a vat in se asia is disgusting.

in other words, this world is in deep doo-doo.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; July 14, 2017 at 09:09 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote