Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 30, 2015   #1
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Default Is it too late to treat this?

My cucumber plant has more than one problem I think. In addition to whatever is happening to the leaves, I have found some clear looking ooey, sticky eggs in and around the leaves and stems. I have also seen some tiny gnat looking things flitting around the leaves (I mean really tiny). And as of today, I picked a cucumber that had a gross clear worm inside chomping away. Ick.

Amazingly, I am still picking tons of cukes and there are tons of blooms and small cukes growing. I would say about a third of the plant has this leave issue. Other leaves are still healthy looking? How long should I expect to continue to get cukes? Do they normally produce till fall or is it almost over anyway?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #2
hoefarmer
Tomatovillian™

look up cucumber worm or pickle worm for the ones eating the fruit. Putting nylons over the young fruit usually works ( but not always),
hoefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #3
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I did lookup pickleworm and that does make sense to me. I could try to bag each individual cuke growing, but that would be a lot of work since there are soooooo many and it is like a jungle in there! Ha! I'll have to decide if its worth that, I guess.

Any thoughts about the leaf issue? I assume that is something different because the info I read about pickleworms didn't mention anything about spotted leaves.

And, also...how much longer does the cucumber season usually last? I've never grown them before.

I appreciate the help! (one last thing...should I try to prune off the spotted leaves? Will that make any difference?)

Last edited by tarheelchick; July 31, 2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: forgot to ask...
Old July 31, 2015   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

You've got a serious fungal disease issue there. It looks like Anthracnose.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #5
4season
Tomatovillian™

It might also be bacterial leaf spot. I have angular leaf spot on mine and I think production is down slightly. Angular leaf spot sometimes stops at a vein. last year was aphids this yeal lef spot, any bets for next year? Check Cornell vegetablemdonline, they have a few pictures of leaf diseases.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You could try the bleach solution for the fungal issues but for pickle worms the best thing to use is Sevin in a spray. You usually don't have to use it but once or twice during a season and it needs to be done late in the day after any bee activity has ceased.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
It might also be bacterial leaf spot. I have angular leaf spot on mine and I think production is down slightly. Angular leaf spot sometimes stops at a vein. last year was aphids this yeal lef spot, any bets for next year? Check Cornell vegetablemdonline, they have a few pictures of leaf diseases.
I don't know about bacterial leaf spot, it doesn't look anything like it. Big round lesions I would suspect Anthracnose or Alternia Leaf Spot. There could be both there, it's hard to tell.

I've had a little Downy Mildew on my cukes this year which also form tan angular lesions but the on the bottom of the leaf the lesion is dark.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015   #8
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the responses! I have applied the diluted bleach spray but havent decided on using the Sevin yet. I've been trying not to use pesticides, but the pickleworm just might push me to it. Lol. I'm more concerned with this leaf thing at the moment. Its starting to look really bad. I feel like my poor garden is starting to fall apart!

I don't ever remember my grandparents having issues with their garden. But maybe I was too young to appreciate what they dealt with. I just never remember them talking about leaf spots or pests, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk
Old August 1, 2015   #9
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I usually get that leaf spotting on my cukes by mid-season. I pick off the worst ones. If I am spraying Bill's Bleach formula or Daconil on my tomatoes, I will do the cukes at the same time, especially those in my shadier garden. They go down slow enough that I still get a decent crop of cukes by the end of my shorter season. I've never had the pickle worms or squash borers, lucky for me. Maybe I am too far north for them. I just had my first sighting of cabbage moths, and my main broccoli crop has been long harvested. Guess there are a few benefits to being a northern gardener.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote