Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 9, 2017   #1
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Default Anthracnose

Anthracnose has come back to my garden this year. Last year, I lost a lot of lovely tomatoes to this fungus. I've been spraying with Green Cure, but have slacked off a bit recently. I guess I need to get out there again. However, last night I sprayed with Bill's bleach spray. Does anyone know if that will help? Any other thoughts on killing this? I try to keep things as green as possible. Thanks!!!
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
Anthracnose has come back to my garden this year. Last year, I lost a lot of lovely tomatoes to this fungus. I've been spraying with Green Cure, but have slacked off a bit recently. I guess I need to get out there again. However, last night I sprayed with Bill's bleach spray. Does anyone know if that will help? Any other thoughts on killing this? I try to keep things as green as possible. Thanks!!!
Are you sure it is anthacnose and I ask b/c where I've grown tomatoes more northerly than you it only appears towards fall when the temps are getting colder at night.

First the pictures

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k1.qq38sCtboHk

And now the links

https://www.google.com/search?q=anth...&bih=788&dpr=1

Off hand I don't know any way to prevent it since it's almost always due to weather and no one can control the weather.

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2017   #3
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Are you sure it is anthacnose and I ask b/c where I've grown tomatoes more northerly than you it only appears towards fall when the temps are getting colder at night.

First the pictures

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k1.qq38sCtboHk

And now the links

https://www.google.com/search?q=anth...&bih=788&dpr=1

Off hand I don't know any way to prevent it since it's almost always due to weather and no one can control the weather.

Carolyn
Thanks for the links, Carolyn! It looks like anthracnose to me. I've attached photos. Maybe it's something else?

It's such a bummer when you think you have a lovely tomato and Mother Nature gets you right at the finish line!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0860.jpg (188.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0857.jpg (157.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.jpg (164.9 KB, 94 views)
Old July 10, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
Thanks for the links, Carolyn! It looks like anthracnose to me. I've attached photos. Maybe it's something else?

It's such a bummer when you think you have a lovely tomato and Mother Nature gets you right at the finish line!
It sure does look like anthracnose but I think there are some other possibilities as well, especially if the lesions you show are fairly new,see the other depressed ones with yellow dots in them.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...TomFrtKey.html

Speaking of weather it looks like rain all night and tomorrow, but given a choice between just rain and T storms and hail and high winds, I'll take the former.

Carolyn,who thinks the above link from Cornell is a good one to have as a resource.
Old July 12, 2017   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You might also be having problems with stink bugs or leaf footed bugs. They will sting the fruit and as it ripens spots appear at the sting spot. I once thought I had Antracnose but found out when I wiped out the stink bugs and leef footed bugs it disappeared along with them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I suffer from it on the mangoe and some lychee trees .Came from infestation upwind at a grove.Once it is here it has to run its life out through cultural practice,time and some Immunox that controls it,( affected the frangipanis also)mass trimming etc.Never had the maters affected,but looks like that "gray wall lesions"that morph into a cancerous looking mess.
Old July 23, 2017   #7
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I used your bleach spray twice on my tomatoes and it seems to have helped a lot! (I will keep an eye out for those bugs though.) However, I now have nearly naked tomato plants since there's so much disease in the garden. I'm hoping I can keep them going through August. Next year I'll try my hand at succession planting. I meant to do it this year, but I was so excited that I could finally plant out my tomatoes that I used up all my available space as soon I could.
Old July 24, 2017   #8
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I was planning to do a late crop of tomatoes this year, when space opened up. It worked somewhat last year, the first time I tried it. Last week I was about ready to transplant and noticed the plants I had ready to go already had early blight on their leaves. Their pots were nowhere near the ground, had lots of air circulation, were well isolated from other tomatoes, and they still picked it up. I didn't even bother planting them.

It really lit off quick this year, at least around here.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote