Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 22, 2016   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 22 May 2016 Hilling potatoes

http://durgan.org/2016/May%202016/22...potatoes/HTML/ 22 May 2016 Hilling potatoes
Three rows (18) of Pontiac Red potatoes were large enough to hill. The soil along the row was hilled around the plant. The hollow made was filled with compost. The bed was then heavily mulched with wood chips to retain moisture.
Hilling is to keep the new potatoes covered to prevent formation of solanine formed by reaction with light. The compost adds a few nutrients. The mulch inhibit water evaporation from Sun. Expectation is four pounds minimum from each plant. The seed potato is marked to facilitate watering if needed, also digging since all vegetation is gone at harvest.

Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #2
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Got to hill my potatoes for the second time when I return to NC on Tuesday. I planted my peas, potatoes, spinach and onions on April 1. I may be able to sneak a few potatoes in another week or so. The photo shows my potatoes in the rear of the garden and that is horse radish in the foreground. Usually do not make horse radish till Fall but may pull a root or two for an early sample. Good luck with your potatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2299_4_1.JPG (126.6 KB, 58 views)
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2016   #3
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I'll be following the potato threads since I"m going to give them a go again. thanks for the photos and information !