Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 27, 2015   #1
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Default Longest truss variety ?

Hi !

I need your expertise to find the variety of tomato with longest trusses. Hybrid or OP.

For now the one that seems to be on top of others is rapunzel, advertized with some trusses of 40+ fruits. Images are impressive but i moderately trust them. A problem is that they are not available in Europe at that time.

Any suggestion ?
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
Hi !

I need your expertise to find the variety of tomato with longest trusses. Hybrid or OP.

For now the one that seems to be on top of others is rapunzel, advertized with some trusses of 40+ fruits. Images are impressive but i moderately trust them. A problem is that they are not available in Europe at that time.

Any suggestion ?
Just wondering which is more important to you as in a long flat truss varieties OR number of fruits in which you case it might be good to be thinking about the multi=flora varieties and there's a recent thread here all about the latter.

Carolyn
Old November 27, 2015   #3
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

I'm very interested by multiflora but here specifically i'm interested in long trusses
Old November 27, 2015   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I grew Gold Rush Currant in 2015. These are currant type tomato and they had very long trusses, not 40 tomatoes, but probably 26-32 range. The flavor was quite good and very productive, tiny large pea sized fruits.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm very interested by multiflora but here specifically i'm interested in long trusses
Here are some links for you to check out.

First, Guiness World Records

https://www.google.com/search?q=Guin..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

Second, Charles Wilbur Records

https://www.google.com/search?q=char..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

Third,longest tomato truss

https://www.google.com/search?q=Long..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

The flat truss trait is bred into all those varieties we know that have them, and with it goes a gene(s) that code for the fruits being red.

Which is why when most folks save F2 seeds from Sungold F1, or have volunteers appear, that most of the time they are red fruited.

As for me, the longest flat truss ones that I've grown would include Sara's Galapagos

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...%27s_Galapagos

And some pictures of it

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sara..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

And then Iva's Red Berry, see post 32 and the parentage.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=505468

I hope that helps

Carolyn
Old November 28, 2015   #6
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply, not sure it helps though

The world recordt of longest truss seems to be on a multiflora type. And i dont "trust" world records in that all is done to achieve the goal, usually at th expense of overall qualities (biggest fruit but it was the only on the plant).

Iva's red berry seems to have only 10 fruits by truss on JL site ?
Old November 28, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

The world recordt of longest truss seems to be on a multiflora type. And i dont "trust" world records in that all is done to achieve the goal, usually at th expense of overall qualities (biggest fruit but it was the only on the plant).

I didn't look at Lee's site for pictures, I only know what I got here in zone 5 having Freda grow it twice for me and it's laborious harvesting those wee cherries so she would bring in a single truss at a time for me to snack on.

And far more than 10 fruits on a truss.

Carolyn
Old November 28, 2015   #8
RainCoast
Tomatovillian™

Default Rapunzel

deleted

Last edited by RainCoast; November 28, 2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Didn't properly read O.P.
RainCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2015   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Can't say if they are the world record "longest" but under the right growing conditions, some reliable and standard long flat truss cherries are super sweet 100 and sweet million should produce very long trusses. As well, the variety known as "tomatoberrry", a strawberry shaped cherry also grows long trusses.
All are F1 and should be available almost anywhere.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2015   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

The problem is that multiflora varieties do not have long flat trusses, they have single stalks with hundreds of blossoms but usually only 40-60 of those blossoms set fruits.

I've grown many multifloras and here's some pictures of one that shows the main stalks with all those blossoms.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Zluta_Kytice

Sorry, but I don't agree with you about ALL World record entries and accepted are inferior ones. Accidents happen, fruits and root vegetables and so many more just happen to grow differently in a year, and so it goes.

Carolyn, who has never grown a World Record anything and never tried,and has limited interest in that whole area, and many such as Dr Marv Meissner who wrote the book on how to grow large tomatoes, knows that about me as well, but we are still friends.
Old November 29, 2015   #11
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

The longest trusses full of fruit, besides Sweet 100/Sweet Million F1 plants, that I've grown are from Solanum spontaneum. Here's a pic, but I actually has longer ones with more tomatoes. This was just the best pic of the day that I decided to take photos. http://www.sampleseeds.com/wp-conten...lanumtruss.jpg
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote