Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old May 9, 2008   #1
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Default What varieties is everyone growing this year?

This will be my first year growing eggplants. I have seedling for the following:

Black Beauty
Long Purple Dark
Rosa Bianca

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Louisiana Long Green is back again this year. This is probably the variety I've repeated the most. Produces like crazy and has sweet, mild flavor. I also have Prosperosa. I should have grown White Beauty again. I really like that one. I tried Black Beauty my first year growing eggplant and Rosa Bianca my second year. Hope they do well for you, Dean. I think they're both good.
Old May 11, 2008   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am growing yaponskiy karlik (japanese dwarf) from Andrey, zolotoe yaitso (gold egg) also from Andrey, Black Beauty (they do great for me in my zone 8 desert garden), applegreen, and ping tung long. I have 4 plants of each in 15 gallon grow bags.

Here is a photo of yaponskiy karlik. I am real impressed with how the plant looks, extremely healthy looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaponskiy karlik eggplant (Small).JPG (62.7 KB, 50 views)
Old May 12, 2008   #4
violet0996
Tomatovillian™

I planted Pink Tunglong and Rosa Bianca. They never sprouted, or so I thought until I saw that my feline friend had chosen that spot in the garden for regular dust baths. So I went to the garden center and got a Black Beauty which is just starting to flower. Since then I also found a volunteer from last year - also a purple type - and planted Thai Green, which I am still waiting to see sprout. - dawn
violet0996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008   #5
tigahb8
Tomatovillian™

How about, Rosa Bianca, Proposa, Nada, and Black Bell II.

Butch
tigahb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008   #6
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

this year i'm growing ukrainian beauty, diamond, ping tung long, and an unknown to me variety from iran. this is the 3rd try for ping tung long. first 2 attempts were unsuccessful. 3 strikes and you're out.
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Michael - very good-looking and healthy plant. Yaponskiy Karlik is a Siberian CV despite Japanese part of its name and its very early and compact for eggplant. Zolotoe Yaitso (Golden Egg) has golden-yellow egg shaped fruits...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #8
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I'll be growing 2 Rosa Biancas only. I haven't found anything better.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I have a flower bud on my Yaponskiy Karlik-I think its going to be pretty early for me. I corrected the Russian spelling on my golden egg in the post above.
Old May 25, 2008   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Here is my yaponskiy karlik today, 2 weeks photo from my earlier one. Has several flowers already. Nice and compact. Its 7 inches tall. Going to be my earliest eggplant this season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaponskiy karlik eggplant 5.25 (Small).JPG (55.7 KB, 47 views)
Old June 21, 2008   #11
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
I'll be growing 2 Rosa Biancas only. I haven't found anything better.
Glad to hear that! I am growing it too, plus Diamond.

Funny thing is, I have never grown, nor eaten, eggplant before!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2008   #12
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

The good thing is, if you don't like Rosa Bianca, then you'll know you don't like eggplant! I'm trying 1 of the 2 in a pot this year to see if the warmer location will yield better.
Old June 22, 2008   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have a couple of Louisiana Long Green growing quickly. I should be able to start picking soon. I had heard that Prosperosa was not a really productive variety but I have a lot of fruit set on those plants. Looking forward to those, as well.
Old June 22, 2008   #14
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
The good thing is, if you don't like Rosa Bianca, then you'll know you don't like eggplant! I'm trying 1 of the 2 in a pot this year to see if the warmer location will yield better.
4-gallon buckets for mine here on the blacktop should provide some heat for them.

This sounded like the best description for Rosa Bianca, from Fedco:

Open-pollinated bicolor Italian heirloom. Vermont market grower Alan LePage calls it “the best eggplant in the universe,” with a creamy pudding-like consistency and delicate flavor. Gorgeous fruits, white with lavender streaking down the side, can command $3 per pound. Quite different from those familiar slender black types, Rosa is plump, about 3-4" across and 5" long, narrow at the top and widening with indentations almost in folds like draped fabric. Fruits average 2 lb, max out at 4 lb, making it LePage’s highest-yielding eggplant. Rosa needs to be coddled, particularly in the northern half of New England. Needs alternating temperatures to break dormancy: warm days (preferably 80s), cooler nights (around 70°). We recommend raised beds, row covers and plastic or IRT mulch.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008   #15
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting, Mark. I grew RB a couple years ago, and had 2 really large eggplants and a couple small ones. Last year I didn't have seeds, and grew a black hybrid instead which yielded half as much. I thought it was just because of weather differences. So Mr. LePage may be right when it
comes to growing RB in the far north.

It was a lot different farming in NJ, the eggplant capitol of the world. All white or white striped eggplant yielded less than half of black eggplant. I didn't know Rosa Bianca by name then, it was generically called Sicilian eggplant by the Italian farmers I bought my transplants from.

But I really pushed it at my farm market because it tasted so much better, and 15 years ago I was selling as much white as black over a season, even though I charged 50% more.