Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 3, 2018   #16
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Interesting.

In our field, Maglia Rosa is now a strikingly poor shelf-life tomato (both on and off the vine).

We don't even put it in the general boxes these days, because most of our newer cherry tomatoes have much better shelf-life and Maglia Rosa ends up being the tomato that goes overripe when the rest of the box is in great shape.
hmmmmm

so which of variety of cherries hold well on the vines and box better than maglia rosa..

if you can name some OP that are as good as Juliet hybrid ….I am keen to

find them ..
Old October 3, 2018   #17
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
IMO a holds well on the vine means that they LOOK ripe for the variety,but are as hard as a rock.

Usually F1 hybrids.

And they sit there laughing at you trying to pick them the way most would pick OP varieties.

Carolyn
LOL I actually tried RED ROCK this year and it sure was blemish free

on the outside …….but a little to much "Red Rock " for me ...even

I might try it again ….but it was a bit to thick of skin for what my

"Quest " was looking for ….
Old October 3, 2018   #18
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Is Principe Borghese the type of tomato you are thinking of BB? Italian, breed for sun drying and storage on vine, but may require a particular type of soil (minerals?) for best keeping.
maybe I will relook at that one again …..I wasn't thinking of the sun drying aspect

but maybe that would turn out well as storage on the vine as well …

I was was sort of thinking of on the living vine …..

not cut vine and store on back of the garage door for Christmas tomatoes (Northern hemisphere) like other types like Grappoli d'Inverno and others .
Old October 4, 2018   #19
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I don't think there are long keeping but fast ripening as you want. Seems like these two contradict each other. To keep long they need some inhibition for the ripening process.

Crnkovic is a good keeper, there are also others which keep quite well, for example Galina (they are also blemish free which helps no doubt). There is one downside, the taste for fresh eating is not any longer than others. So you can keep them long for cooking or to gather a big amount for sauce, but that's about it.

You want de colgar or some of those italian 'colgar'. Important is to also reduce water for these, the more sugar, the better they keep, I'm sure you noticed how much they seem to last the ones picked before frost in case they don't have cracks etc.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2018   #20
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Most of our cherries that hold better (on and off the vine) are not OP. Many are works in progress and are not yet finished, or available.

Madera will be available again later this fall. Right now it is our best cherry tomato combining flavor and shelf-life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
hmmmmm

so which of variety of cherries hold well on the vines and box better than maglia rosa..

if you can name some OP that are as good as Juliet hybrid ….I am keen to

find them ..
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2018   #21
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Most of our cherries that hold better (on and off the vine) are not OP. Many are works in progress and are not yet finished, or available.

Madera will be available again later this fall. Right now it is our best cherry tomato combining flavor and shelf-life.
Hey thanks ...more tips and hints to research and try and find the ones to use !

I know I will not be able to try them all .. so the info. and tips are much appreciated !
Old October 25, 2018   #22
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Madera is now available. We got our seed productions from the summer processed and have put the variety on our Artisan Seeds website. Photos and more info are now on our facebook page.

In our experience, Madera has been holding for 1 week on the vine fully ripe. After harvesting it holds at room temperature for 2+ weeks fully ripe.

It holds another 2+ weeks refrigerated at 50 degrees Farenheit, and some of the new flavors we are getting from fruits stored over a month (2 weeks warm + 2 weeks refrigerated) are incredible, and different from the flavors before extended storage.

Green Bee is another very long shelf-life tomato that is just now available from us. It is something completely different, and we will be the fruits we are harvesting now after the new year.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2018   #23
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

We had a nice extension of nice fall weather ….

so last week Maglia Rosa was still producing nice fruit and blossoms last week etc.

But today the wet and rain winter has come.....

still some late sweet geranium kiss and zluta Kytice today ……

zhiraf and Selma are stored as longkeepers …...but

Winter is coming …….LOL
Old October 26, 2018   #24
LDiane

I like Sweet Orange II cherry by Tim Peters. It is crack-resistant, even after the fall rains begin.

I eat it during the summer, then pick all the remaining fruit before frost and keep them in a cool part of the house. Usually we've eaten them all by January, but one year I decided to see how long they'd stay good, and they were fine till early April.

I noticed seeds being sold by a company in Washington, though their description was a bit different, so I sent them my original seeds from Peters. I haven't checked to see if they are now growing it.
Old October 26, 2018   #25
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default wowzers that sweet orange II cherry sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
I like Sweet Orange II cherry by Tim Peters. It is crack-resistant, even after the fall rains begin.

I eat it during the summer, then pick all the remaining fruit before frost and keep them in a cool part of the house. Usually we've eaten them all by January, but one year I decided to see how long they'd stay good, and they were fine till early April.

I noticed seeds being sold by a company in Washington, though their description was a bit different, so I sent them my original seeds from Peters. I haven't checked to see if they are now growing it.
THat is a good tip ! wowzers …..will continue to look into it..
Old October 26, 2018   #26
LDiane

I just checked and it was Uprising Seeds. Their website description says they produce over a long period, don't crack, but only last a few days once picked. Someone sure skewed the original genetics. That's why I sent them original Peters seeds, still in their packet, but I guess they couldn't get them going.

I am aghast that I can't find any seeds I've saved - too many donations to Seedy Saturdays?

I've still got a few original seeds and will desperately attempt germination.

Last edited by LDiane; October 26, 2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old October 28, 2018   #27
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
I just checked and it was Uprising Seeds. Their website description says they produce over a long period, don't crack, but only last a few days once picked. Someone sure skewed the original genetics. That's why I sent them original Peters seeds, still in their packet, but I guess they couldn't get them going.

I am aghast that I can't find any seeds I've saved - too many donations to Seedy Saturdays?

I've still got a few original seeds and will desperately attempt germination.
Yup ...ya gotta collect your private stock seeds every year ...just in case ..

I usually don't have a problem getting some sample plants even from seeds

8 years or older ...etc. (just start with a large sample and even with low germination

you get some seedlings !)

if all else fails ...did ya see that Tatiana's is having a limited seed store opening

in November ? …..lots of hard to find varieties there ...
Old October 29, 2018   #28
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Pommerino Datterino Dolce del Pacino holds well for a long time, especially if left on vine and it dries up.

De Colgar types, I need a larger sample to pass judgment, thus far they're just as Carolyn described.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2018   #29
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tips Geraldo ….

more to research ...