Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2017   #751
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Bill, it's all that hard work down the compost drain.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #752
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

We got more torrential rain today! I cannot stand it anymore. It's been raining on and off for the better part of a month. I try to spray with GreenCure to keep down disease, but I have gray mold and other diseases (I can never tell most of the tomato diseases apart.) I was really hoping this would be my best year yet, but the rain says otherwise. I've always thought gardening should have the same motto as ABC's Wide World of Sports, "The thrill of victory... And the agony of defeat." This looks like it may be a year of defeat.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #753
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear that Ade, looks like you and Bill are in the same position.

Our rain forecast has gone by the wayside. It looks like I might get some rain over the weekend. There is a named storm in the Gulf now headed for the TX/LA border. If it heads closer to us we might get some rain from the outskirts of it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 20, 2017   #754
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Sorry to hear that Ade, looks like you and Bill are in the same position.

Our rain forecast has gone by the wayside. It looks like I might get some rain over the weekend. There is a named storm in the Gulf now headed for the TX/LA border. If it heads closer to us we might get some rain from the outskirts of it.
Thanks! I hope tropical storm Cindy stays far away from you.
Old June 20, 2017   #755
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
We got more torrential rain today! I cannot stand it anymore. It's been raining on and off for the better part of a month. I try to spray with GreenCure to keep down disease, but I have gray mold and other diseases (I can never tell most of the tomato diseases apart.) I was really hoping this would be my best year yet, but the rain says otherwise. I've always thought gardening should have the same motto as ABC's Wide World of Sports, "The thrill of victory... And the agony of defeat." This looks like it may be a year of defeat.
Know what you mean. I got up before dawn this morning hoping to get in the garden early. Walked out into rain. It is still raining and hasn't stopped for one minute today and more forecast for tomorrow. I was going to spray down everything in the garden with the bleach spray today but never got a chance. I hope it stops for long enough for me to spray tomorrow. The bleach spray is the only thing that works at all in this kind of weather and it is a slippery uphill fight at best. Fungicides are useless right now and have been for a month now so the diseases are really taking their toll. If this keeps up much longer there will be nothing left to fight for in my garden.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #756
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Know what you mean. I got up before dawn this morning hoping to get in the garden early. Walked out into rain. It is still raining and hasn't stopped for one minute today and more forecast for tomorrow. I was going to spray down everything in the garden with the bleach spray today but never got a chance. I hope it stops for long enough for me to spray tomorrow. The bleach spray is the only thing that works at all in this kind of weather and it is a slippery uphill fight at best. Fungicides are useless right now and have been for a month now so the diseases are really taking their toll. If this keeps up much longer there will be nothing left to fight for in my garden.

Bill
I'm sorry, Bill. I hope the rain let's up enough for you to get in some spraying. My goal at this point is just to get one ripe tomato from every variety I planted this year. I'm afraid it might be the best I'll be able to hope for if this rain doesn't let up. I'm going to try your bleach stay after my trip this week. I hope it'll help my garden too. I definitely don't have anything to lose at this point.
Old June 20, 2017   #757
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Y'all have gotten so much rain for such a long time this spring. It has been too wet here causing yet another high RKN breeding year. But I know we haven't gotten as much rain as you two have. I hope it stops raining and stays that way for a few weeks.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #758
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We haven't got much rain so far all June. 1/2", 1/4" at a time. With our sandy soil, there is no such thing as too much rain, unless it floods like hurricane.

Today, all day we got about 1/2". Now it is dark outside and can't check my rain gauge. I hope it rains some more overnight. Otherwise t leaves me with no choice but use city water.

It is a big country. We all have different conditions.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #759
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I sure hope the weather turns around and gives you 2 (Bill and Ade and whoever else with terrible weather) a fighting chance to get some good fruit this year. Here there is no rain for long stretches it seems - the last was 2 1/2 weeks then an inch - nothing since - that's why they call it Brownsburg? I guess I still would rather be able to drag hoses around, pay for water, and get a crop than having your issues - bummer guys i feel for you
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #760
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's 80 degrees and 78% humidity out there right now. It was pleasant walking out because the air is cooler and there was a nice breeze to boot. Watered and picked some green beans and tomatoes. I see our heat index is 105-109 degrees again today with no rain in sight.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 21, 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old June 21, 2017   #761
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Oh boy, you all along the Gulf Coast have it bad with TS Cindy coming in. Stay safe and I hope your gardens make it through this.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 21, 2017   #762
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

91F and 39% humidity pepper drying weather.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #763
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

98 degrees and 26% humidity. Definitely nice enough to walk around the garden in.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 21, 2017   #764
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
91F and 39% humidity pepper drying weather.

Worth
Holy cow! that sounds like heaven in Texas.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #765
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Looks like rain here from Saturday thru Friday next week then it picks back up again for Sunday and Monday.

~Margaret Atwood~