Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 24, 2015   #1
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I mulch my cukes if growing vertically?

Hello,

I am using a 2'W x 2'D x 6'L (170 gallon) galvanized water trough for tomatoes, and so I thought I'd try some other veggies, like cukes, as well (in a separate trough of the same dimensions). I planted some peppers in the front and cukes in the back row, and I plan to train them to grow on a large trellis. This is my first time growing in this type of container, and the growing medium is compost, peat moss and vermiculite. More details can be found in the container section of the tomato forums if interested.

Here's the deal. I have a cat that likes to use any loose soil, especially in containers on the patio, as her own personal commode. I have used fairly large chunk pine bark mulch on the tomato trough and all other containers I have growing, like herbs, etc. It works great so far for keeping out the kitty and keeping in the moisture. However, an old farmer with untold years of in-ground experience, once told me that cukes and peppers don't like being mulched. Is this universally true?

Is there any problem with mulching my cukes, or basically every container, with this pine bark?

I appreciate anyone's thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote