Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 28, 2013   #76
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default GZ X BFT

The third experimental cross you gave me was Green Zebra X Black from Tula.

The first ripe tomato was BER. Not sure if you want seed from a cross susceptible to BER? Even my Marzanos don't have BER so not sure whats up with that? A rare fluke?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #77
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I have been getting ripe fruit on my three plants but having rat problems
at the moment. I did pick one decent sized one and two little ones off one
plant. Going to check today to see if any more ripe. I did put some poison
out for the rats.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #78
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Oy. Rodent problems....I know it well. I've had to thin the herd a bit this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I have been getting ripe fruit on my three plants but having rat problems
at the moment. I did pick one decent sized one and two little ones off one
plant. Going to check today to see if any more ripe. I did put some poison
out for the rats.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #79
Gary Cass
Tomatovillian™

Chris -- If you're still looking for a year round grower, I might be able to help. Send me a PM so we can take this offline.
Gary Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #80
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Here is some I picked today. The top row is from one plant and the bottom
from another. Not sure about that top right one. The ones on the bottom
have light stripes, and average 2.5 in long, 1.25 in wide. Most have a nipple
end, and a couple of them looks like it's inverted. Top row are a little
shorter, and the striping is very faint, also with a nipple end. I will save
the seeds individually, or you can let me know which seeds you want me
to save from this batch. There are some more ripening on the plants.

Old August 5, 2013   #81
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Look good! How do they taste?

I'd seed from both plants, 2-4 fruit from each should be enough (30-40 seeds maybe?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Here is some I picked today. The top row is from one plant and the bottom
from another. Not sure about that top right one. The ones on the bottom
have light stripes, and average 2.5 in long, 1.25 in wide. Most have a nipple
end, and a couple of them looks like it's inverted. Top row are a little
shorter, and the striping is very faint, also with a nipple end. I will save
the seeds individually, or you can let me know which seeds you want me
to save from this batch. There are some more ripening on the plants.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old August 5, 2013   #82
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I have had 2 ripe fruit from the chocolate cherry x sungold f1, (not bagged, but I was going to save seed anyway), so I taste tested them, after cutting them...there were no developed seeds. I don't understand how that is, the fruit was ripe, very tasty, but the seeds in each were tiny undeveloped flecks. Why would that kind of thing happen, I wonder? Hopefully the fruit from the bagged blossoms will be better developed. Anyone have this kind of experience before?
Carrie
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #83
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Look good! How do they taste?

I'd seed from both plants, 2-4 fruit from each should be enough (30-40 seeds maybe?)
I tried one from each plant. They were both mild tasting with a
little sweetness. The one I tasted from the top row was a little
better than the one from the bottom row. I'll taste some more
later.
Old August 7, 2013   #84
tekaha
Tomatovillian™

i'm another one gardening year round if you need help growing out the next generation of crosses. just let me know if you need me. i'm a noob gardener but i can certainly follow instructions . . .
tekaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2013   #85
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Anybody else?? Pretty sure I sent out seed to many more people than have weighed in here!

Would also like to know if anyone is planning to followup on any of these lines themselves in subsequent years.

Old August 14, 2013   #86
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Mine are still growing for plant out in the next week or two.

The micros are lovely! The tiny Dr. C x PBTD is still tiny. Lost a few of my original 20 to mold but the rest are flourishing.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2013   #87
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I'll be sowing my seeds for growout on the 24th. They will be final planted the last week of October.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2013   #88
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Growing out three from the original crosses next year .... JxGZ (A) JxGZ (B) JxSR (A)
JxGZ (A) - is a golf ball size salad tomato that my family likes.
JxGZ (B) - is an oval tomato that my family liked the best of all.
JxSR - is a typical paste tomato with small seeds and thick walls.. the thing I like about it is that it's about 8ft tall and still growing and blooming like mad with our temps still in the 100's.. there are still tomatoes setting in the inside of the large mass and NO disease has slowed it down so far.
The GZxBFT was a delicious tomato, but disease wiped out all three plants by the middle of june, so I won't be bothering with it again.
Old August 15, 2013   #89
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Anybody else?? Pretty sure I sent out seed to many more people than have weighed in here!

Would also like to know if anyone is planning to followup on any of these lines themselves in subsequent years.
I will be growing out Dr. Carolyn X Beauty Queen for sure. Dr. Carolyn X Pink Berkley Tie Dye tastes good but splits way too easy. I doubt it is worth messing with. A cherry that splits is near worthless to me. (even though it is a big cherry) The last one I am torn over. The Green Zebra X Black from Tula is one of the most stunning beautiful tomatoes I have ever seen from the bottom. Beautiful red and green striping and when the green gets very ripe it changes to a bronze color that subtly kinda "sparkles". It is stunning. However the tops are as consistently ugly as any tomato I have ever seen. It has green shoulders but they are always hard, scarred and scabby. You have to cut the whole 1/4 to 1/3 and sometimes even 1/2 of the top off just to eat the bottom? A couple even had BER. Right there that would generally make me say it is not worth messing with. BUT ....... That bottom is delish! Very tasty indeed! The issue I think would be to figure out a way to get the top shoulders "fixed" without compromising flavor and I am not even sure if it is possible. Certainly beyond my skill level. I might grow a plant or two and hope to get lucky? I'll be sure to send you seeds. Hopefully your breeding skills are better than mine.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; August 15, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2013   #90
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Definitely send seed of everything since they are far from stable! I 'd love to see pix if you have them of the GZ x BFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I will be growing out Dr. Carolyn X Beauty Queen for sure. Dr. Carolyn X Pink Berkley Tie Dye tastes good but splits way too easy. I doubt it is worth messing with. A cherry that splits is near worthless to me. (even though it is a big cherry) The last one I am torn over. The Green Zebra X Black from Tula is one of the most stunning beautiful tomatoes I have ever seen from the bottom. Beautiful red and green striping and when the green gets very ripe it changes to a bronze color that subtly kinda "sparkles". It is stunning. However the tops are as consistently ugly as any tomato I have ever seen. It has green shoulders but they are always hard, scarred and scabby. You have to cut the whole 1/4 to 1/3 and sometimes even 1/2 of the top off just to eat the bottom? A couple even had BER. Right there that would generally make me say it is not worth messing with. BUT ....... That bottom is delish! Very tasty indeed! The issue I think would be to figure out a way to get the top shoulders "fixed" without compromising flavor and I am not even sure if it is possible. Certainly beyond my skill level. I might grow a plant or two and hope to get lucky? I'll be sure to send you seeds. Hopefully your breeding skills are better than mine.