Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old September 11, 2013   #31
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Did you find a use for the Raid Fly Strips I mentioned. I'm also an apartment dwelling gardener but my balcony points W-NW and only gets about 4 hours of dappled sunlight through the nearby trees. I hope to try a earthtainer with some vegetables like spinach, lettuce, and broccoli. I have an Early Wonder tomato plant growing indoors as well as strawberries. I ate my first strawberry yesterday.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2013   #32
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDent004 View Post
Did you find a use for the Raid Fly Strips I mentioned.
Unfortunately, two places I checked nearby didn't have any in stock. I've been using a long foam hand soap mixed in water to catch gnats and that has been working very well.

I figured out one special source of these buggers. I had a bag of potting mix wrapped up and stowed away, but apparently there was a small hole in the side of the bag. The gnats found it, went inside, and started an enormous colony. It became a gnat factory. Didn't matter how many mosquito bits or soapy water I utilized... the gnats just kept appearing. Thankfully I figured out the break in the chain! Pesky little rascals.
Old September 12, 2013   #33
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear that. I've seen them in my nearby Wal-Mart and Kroger stores.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2014   #34
ReginaAnn
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

My raised beds seem to be infested with gnats and ants this spring. I have yellow sticky traps set up and they are catching some. Would like to plant out my starts in the next week but am apprehensive. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
ReginaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #35
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Hi ReginaAnn,

Where are you located in Northern California? I'm a Master Gardener in Santa Clara County, and can certainly give you some thoughts (my first thoughts are toward increasing your beneficial insects and using low-to-non-toxic abatement strategies, such as boric acid bait stations for ants... and more), but if you're not in my county, you might find even better help from your local Master Gardeners group.

That said, I'm still happy to share my ideas with you. I'm wondering whether your "gnats" are fungus gnats, fruit flies, or some other sort of gnats.

Your message here got kind of lost, as it is at the end of a thread from last season, but I found it when poking around at other stuff.

Wasn't sure what you meant by "planting out [your] starts in the next week" -- do you mean starting seeds or do you mean putting transplants into your beds? It might be a little early (depending on soil temp and the last freeze date for your location) to be transplanting into the garden/beds, but again, your mileage may vary,
betsylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #36
ReginaAnn
Tomatovillian™

Hi Betsylt,

I am in the Hayward area. Not sure the type of gnats I had but I got some organic oil mixture from the local hydroponic shop that has worked so far.
Any info on attracting beneficial insects would be greatly appreciated. I do have salvias and yarrow but would like more attractants.

Hmmm.. yeah I have have gotten a little ahead of myself planting wise but it's so nice.

Thanks again
ReginaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #37
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Fungus gnats are really pervasive critters. I had eradicated all of my fungus gnats... or so I thought. NO NEW PLANTS came into my house. But then magically, just the other day I'm watering my indoor plants and a fungus gnat is buzzing around.

I really think their eggs are extremely resilient. If you don't clear out your potting mix, all it takes is for one egg to be sitting around dormant... then comes alive at the opportune time.