Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 19, 2017   #1
goofy golden
Tomatovillian™

Default NET POTS HELP

hey everybody, how're things?

i RRRealy, hate doing this but, i'm under a vicious case of catch up and time constraint.

can anyone please, give me the lowdown on GOOD, net pots and a decent vendor.

am particularly interested in the 3.75 and 3 inch pots.

only discovered this forum and the hybrid RGGS 6 days ago and normally would do some intense research and very probably not have to bother anyone. if this was even a month ago that would be the case, but.

i'm trying set this thing up so that anyone that does this hopefully, doesn't have to mess w/ too much of the minutiae of replacing too many of the parts too often.

so i'd like to get the best pots for durability and openings.

have definitely found a number of vendors but, i do not want to blow the money and the exorbitant (on many of the sites) s&h and get trash.

and i have done numerous searches on this section and the whole forum and can't seem to narrow the search or am just not hitting the correct target words. i'm going to cut and paste this to the gen. discuss. section too.

thanks very much ya'll, for any and all help.
goofy golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Please don't start parallel threads.

You're unclear on what you're trying to accomplish. When you say "net pots" do you mean those plastic pots with grill-like sides and bottom used in hydroponic setups?

What are you growing? If tomatoes, then why do you want such small pots?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I had never heard of net pots, but here are some https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Net-Pots.../dp/B005AV9QQS
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Seek them at your local weed-growin.. er .. hydroponics store.

Hmm. Isn't there a Hydro forum here?

- Will Rogers

Old March 20, 2017   #5
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

I think Larry said 3 in net cup in a 2-7/8" hole in this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRQzhFBCot4
Old March 20, 2017   #6
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Try Allied Aqua. They have good prices on hydroponic/ aquaponic supplies.
Old March 20, 2017   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Seek them at your local weed-growin.. er .. hydroponics store.

Hmm. Isn't there a Hydro forum here?
Man, you were not kidding. I looked up those pots on Amazon this morning and now my browser is bringing up https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...w+net&*&spf=69 so I went to videos https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...=vid&*&spf=739

AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Hey, you too can grow your net worth from zero to $100K in one year!

According to Freakonomics Radio this morning, the only solution is to eliminate cash.

Only??

- Will Rogers

Old March 20, 2017   #9
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I think it is important to stick with the 3 inch net pots if you are going into gutter gardening. Ordering the 2 7/8 hole saw is so worth it. I made the mistake when starting out of ordering the wrong size net pot and they are still sitting in my garage. They do not sit properly in the gutter. I don't have information on a good supplier, but ordering online much cheaper than hydro stores.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

There's a heavy-duty and a regular net pot. The heavy duty is a very slightly larger size, or at least has a wider rim.

Test-drill some holes first in scrap material, to make sure your hole saw is the right size. Put the side handle on your drill if you have one, to keep you from spraining your wrist.

I have grown dwarfs in as small as 2" net pots, and it works, but I usually have to cut the net pot out of the root ball, damaging it too much to re-use. I don't know that it matters very much what size you use, as far as the plants are concerned. I have seen tomatoes do great in much larger net pots, like 8-10"
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #11
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't worry too much about finding the perfect netcup. They are designed to be at a cheap price point so they will be all very similar. A liner would probably be needed to keep the soil from washing out, so the spacing of the openings are no big deal.

If you converted to a hydroponic TNF system for something other than tomatoes, with smaller root systems, the spacing between openings usually doesn't matter either because you still have a medium, like hydrotron, in which the roots have to pass. The heavy duty is mostly used for something like dutch buckets or DWC where the netpot is taking the load and transferring it to the lid of your container.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #12
lworks86
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy golden View Post
hey everybody, how're things?

i RRRealy, hate doing this but, i'm under a vicious case of catch up and time constraint.

can anyone please, give me the lowdown on GOOD, net pots and a decent vendor.

am particularly interested in the 3.75 and 3 inch pots.

only discovered this forum and the hybrid RGGS 6 days ago and normally would do some intense research and very probably not have to bother anyone. if this was even a month ago that would be the case, but.

i'm trying set this thing up so that anyone that does this hopefully, doesn't have to mess w/ too much of the minutiae of replacing too many of the parts too often.

so i'd like to get the best pots for durability and openings.

have definitely found a number of vendors but, i do not want to blow the money and the exorbitant (on many of the sites) s&h and get trash.

and i have done numerous searches on this section and the whole forum and can't seem to narrow the search or am just not hitting the correct target words. i'm going to cut and paste this to the gen. discuss. section too.

thanks very much ya'll, for any and all help.
50 pack - 3 inch Round Net Cups Pots Wide Lip Design by cz garden supply on Amazon. I just bought my second order. Like the stiff lip and the slots seem to wide enough for air but not so big that the soil just pours out. I use mine for the RGGS system and they work well.
lworks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #13
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried these yet but they were recommended in a Facebook group as among the best https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00J1A49...=11UU391GYQUS9

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #14
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

The OP seems to have turned to other pursuits...

- Will Rogers