Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 8, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Panic-panic-panic

I have been panicing a lot this week- I discovered a sweet pepper plant that I managed to overwinter in my conservatory was riddled with red spider mite, so I have been spraying like mad with liquid Derris that is supposed to kill them and is quite safe for veg and edible plants including tomatoes, my only worry is that I caught them in time before the little devils spread to other plants - they obviously went for the pepper plant as it was there all winter and the first to open up leaf buds, I still had a bit of a job to see them though -so I had to use a magnifying glass- and there they were-plus the little white webs in the leaf axis etc.

red spiders are a terrible thing if you once get them in you crop they can completly devastate the whole crop if you dont catch them in time.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2006   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I have a rule (which I broke this last winter) What leaves the greenhouse stays out, never to return. I did the same with a pepper plant this last winter and it brought in all kinds of bugs. The real problem is there are no good bugs to fight them in the sterile environment. I spent a fortune one year buying bugs to add to the ghouse! I feel for you!!-Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2006   #3
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Yes-Rena, very-very good advice, I think I will adopt the same principals from now on, it seems safer. many thanks.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote