Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 12, 2016   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Does DE work on Tomato Russet Mites? Is it dusted on, or sprayed on? What do you apply it with for dusting if that is how to do it?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2016   #17
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
The best thing i have found is Diatomaceous Earth. Last year i lost the whole garden to spider mites this year not one to be seen. The stuff just works and it comes in food grade.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; May 12, 2016 at 12:43 PM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2016   #18
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post

How DE used? Stirred with water and the plants are sprayed with them?
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2016   #19
creister
Tomatovillian™

There is a good thread about using DE in this Forum.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2016   #20
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I have had excellent success with biological and natural "pesticides." In terms of biological, this predatory mite blend has worked wonderfully for me the past two years (the key is catching them early, or doubling the dose for later infections).. http://www.amazon.com/000-Live-Adult.../dp/B00I0ZXU18
The second effective tool in my arsenal is this spray:
600ml h20
1/8th teaspoon cinnamon
1/8th teaspoon dried rosemary
1/8th teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon sesame oil (fyi - sesame oil on its own is toxic to the little buggers)
heat to a boil - let simmer for about 30 seconds. Let cool, strain and spray away

Good luck!
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2016   #21
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Does DE work on Tomato Russet Mites? Is it dusted on, or sprayed on? What do you apply it with for dusting if that is how to do it?
You'll want to add one tablespoon of DE to 32 oz of water.. Give it a shake and you're good to go... A little dish soap will go a long way if you have issues getting it to stick..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2016   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just had a customer come to my greenhouse and correctly point out that all of my pepper plants have aphids. I need to take them to market the day after tomorrow. Met52 doesn't have enough time to work between now and then. I will probably just blast them with soapy water and follow that up with straight water to wash off the soap shortly afterward.

He spotted the aphids because I had ants. He pointed out the ants were guarding the aphid eggs from other predators. Wherever there was a patch of eggs, there were three or four ants just hanging out. My few remaining sunflower plants also have a few leaf borers.

I also have a lot of tiny praying mantises that are probably eating the aphids. I am going to inspect each plant and remove them before I use the soap spray, or the Met52 I will probably spray after market on Saturday.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote