Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 13, 2017   #1
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Default Does anyone here have the Garden Tower Project?

I'm thinking about getting one for my salad greens and strawberries. It would free up some of my beds for more beans, squash and tomatoes. I like that idea of a small footprint and the built-in worm composting tower but it seems like an awful lot of money for plastic. If you have one and love it or hate it, I'd appreciate your feedback.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've seen it in person and it is very prominent. It would be great for a person with only a balcony.

Amazon has a set of 3 Flower Towers for 53 bucks. I have the set but never assembled it. Of course it doesn't compost, but it would be cool for greens. I may actually borrow that idea from you.

Another option for greens or other shallow rooted plants is a Gronomics elevated bed. Yup, purchased and never assembled. Very stylish, sturdy and half the price.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

For greens and shallow rooted stuff, a rain gutter or even a cardboard beer flat box will do. I have grown round red radishes in a rain gutter and lettuces in a box.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #4
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the ideas, Lisa. I'm still thinking about it. I don't have a lot of space here. I live in a duplex and my husband really likes his lawn.
Old April 17, 2017   #5
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
Thanks for the ideas, Lisa. I'm still thinking about it. I don't have a lot of space here. I live in a duplex and my husband really likes his lawn.

serve your husband up a plate of grass from said lawn, or a plate of fresh... well anything you grow and see what he prefers
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #6
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

You can have quite a nice little garden with those white Rubbermaid dish pans. Lettuces, small carrots, radishes, peas, herbs, patio tomatoes. And the white reflects the sun too.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #7
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

That tower is amazing and I would love to have one of those for sure. I could have strawberries in that without needing a huge bed for it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

This is cute for small scale. I built similar a few years ago for the kitchen deck....
herbs and salads.
This is on sale from ParkSeed on-line.
(lots of DIY ideas doing a search)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 12.19.18 PM.png (220.7 KB, 69 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #9
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Well, I did it. I took the plunge. It should be arriving in a couple days. I will show pics when I get it put together. I think it will give a neater appearance to our yard than lots of plastics boxes, containers and gutters, etc. Our neighbors are close on both sides and our development is new so my dh is concerned about that. We spend a lot of time relaxing and enjoying the scenery in the back yard and it wouldn't be peaceful if it looked cluttered.

So, we shall see. It seems like a great concept.

Thank you all for your ideas and input! Gardeners are a clever sort.
Old April 19, 2017   #10
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I think you'll like it. Do you have wind protection? I don't know if I could have one out here without somehow securing it because of our wind. I also think a drip system would be good for it too if there is a lot of wind to deal with. I can imagine the planting areas might dry out a little if it's windy. Just watch those each day and top them off if they are dry to keep your roots moist until they can get inside where are the water is.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #11
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I think you'll like it. Do you have wind protection? I don't know if I could have one out here without somehow securing it because of our wind. I also think a drip system would be good for it too if there is a lot of wind to deal with. I can imagine the planting areas might dry out a little if it's windy. Just watch those each day and top them off if they are dry to keep your roots moist until they can get inside where are the water is.
I have thought about the wind. Thank you for reminding me. I think I will have to stake it down somehow. The description says it weighs about 250 lbs when full. I am concerned that it may be a bit top-heavy. There are optional casters for it that I did not purchase. Usually wind and rain go hand in hand here, being near the coast we are on the fringes of hurricanes.

Edited for typo