Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 15, 2017   #91
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

It's because some people here think they're always right!!!
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #92
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

OK, so where can I find seeds for Dotson's Lebanese Heart?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #93
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
OK, so where can I find seeds for Dotson's Lebanese Heart?
Josephine, I sent you a PM
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #94
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwouhaybi View Post
Wow, that sounds like a controversial tomato, did not see this coming! Sorry for stirring that pot, was never my intent, I just love tomatoes!

Carolyn, thanks for the your sweet words, I will send you an email.

I am not sure right now where I got the seeds since I am at work, will check my records once I get home, but I am 90% confident that I got a small envelope from a local seed exchange!

Rita
Rita, bless you- welcome to Tomatoville! I was only trying to help you solve your mystery, I was not insinuating where seeds came from. Please don't hesitate to ask about this variety, and any others, on this amazing forum!

Darin
Old August 15, 2017   #95
imp
Tomatovillian™

Rita, welcome o the forum, and please stick around, it really has been a great place, not only for tomatoes, but for all the wonderfully generous and caring people behind the screen names.

The following has nothing to do with you, <smile>.

I wasn't going to post for a while, but I am.

Everyone, just please stop.

Myself, I don't care for who is "right" or "wrong" at this point. It's gone to major ugly and for a tomato????

Are ya'll willing to throw away a good forum that we have all enjoyed for a long time, online and in person friendships, wonderful information on tomatoes and all sorts of growing things and methods, open handed sharing of resources/seeds/time and more, a community that has done so well?

Spartanburg's tomato, the heart shape, is popping up for other growers it seems. Dotson's Lebanese Heart has been distributed under at least 4 names so far as I understand it, so all this fighting and escalating feelings , the acrid back and forth, is for what?

That ship has already sailed well away by now.

You might as well try to catch the wind in your hand and hold it.

All this anger, all this pain, for something that should be a delight, a wonderful tomato to grow and eat. Potentially losing friends and causing pain to many, creating ill will, dividing and pitting members against each other and destroying the community we all have here, maybe even destroying a forum like iDig was destroyed and some others as well - is it worth that cost to continue the ugliness?

What has happened so far has already happened and none of us can change that. We all can rise above it and just stop before it gets worse and terrible things are said to each other and causing our community to be lost.

All this, over a tomato. From people I admire, respect and treasure, look up to and many I consider friends.

Please, please, just stop, let it go now because nothing in the past can be changed as to what has happened up to this point, but each of us can decide to work to heal from the acrimony or to continue to destroy what we all have here.

It's in your hands, your choices.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #96
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Rita, welcome o the forum, and please stick around, it really has been a great place, not only for tomatoes, but for all the wonderfully generous and caring people behind the screen names.

The following has nothing to do with you, <smile>.

I wasn't going to post for a while, but I am.

Everyone, just please stop.

Myself, I don't care for who is "right" or "wrong" at this point. It's gone to major ugly and for a tomato????

Are ya'll willing to throw away a good forum that we have all enjoyed for a long time, online and in person friendships, wonderful information on tomatoes and all sorts of growing things and methods, open handed sharing of resources/seeds/time and more, a community that has done so well?

Spartanburg's tomato, the heart shape, is popping up for other growers it seems. Dotson's Lebanese Heart has been distributed under at least 4 names so far as I understand it, so all this fighting and escalating feelings , the acrid back and forth, is for what?

That ship has already sailed well away by now.

You might as well try to catch the wind in your hand and hold it.

All this anger, all this pain, for something that should be a delight, a wonderful tomato to grow and eat. Potentially losing friends and causing pain to many, creating ill will, dividing and pitting members against each other and destroying the community we all have here, maybe even destroying a forum like iDig was destroyed and some others as well - is it worth that cost to continue the ugliness?

What has happened so far has already happened and none of us can change that. We all can rise above it and just stop before it gets worse and terrible things are said to each other and causing our community to be lost.

All this, over a tomato. From people I admire, respect and treasure, look up to and many I consider friends.

Please, please, just stop, let it go now because nothing in the past can be changed as to what has happened up to this point, but each of us can decide to work to heal from the acrimony or to continue to destroy what we all have here.

It's in your hands, your choices.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017   #97
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Rita,I am currently in contact with Omar and three others from Lebanon, and what you have is a heart version of Omar's Lebanese that was found by Darin Dotson,aka Spartenburg 123.

So no need to save seeds, since what you grew was the original Omar's Lebanese and there are plenty of the heart form seeds, perhaps even Darin could send you some or I could as well..

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Omar%27s_Lebanese

I'd be delighted if you would please e-mail me at

cmale@aol.com

And I can bring you up to date with others from Lebanon that I'm now in contact with.

Thanks,

Carolyn
I was wrong here since I was reading too fast and assumed that Rita was talking about Darin's heart,not one that she had found, and that's why I said I'm sure Darin would send you some seeds.Those still in doubt can go back and see what I wrote.She did e-mail me and say she would check out where she got the seeds from.

Please see post I think 81

Carolyn
Old August 16, 2017   #98
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Carolyn -- What ever in the world does this have to do with the subject at hand. I was quite taken aback (actually quite horrified) to read this part of your message. How awful that you felt it necessary to recount this tragedy.

And according to the Terms of Use for T'ville that private messages between moderators and members are not to be disclosed to the public.

I am also a long-time member here. And most everyone will probably know that I've never entered into this type of discussion, but I could not let this go without comment.

Respecfully,

Sherry
Sherry, I forgot to get back to you so I will now.

Yes,one of my functions here is as a Global Moderator,that is true, but not all of my interactions with others here are related to that function, far from it, and you know it very well.

Imp had sent me an e-mail about what she was seeing here, I asked her if I could post some of it publicly,this in another public thread here,she said Yes, I could,but only to the Global Mods and M.We both thought that it was important that the other global mods and M knew what was happening here in terms of civility.

IMP is a very long time personal friend of mine. I first met her at idig when that site was active.

How often have you seen me do lengthy searches here for others?Maybe you don't see that and it has nothing at all do to with my being a mod here.I just like to help when I can and especially when someone asks a question and no one answers it.

Perhaps it's b/c once a teacher as my profession was, I'm used to helping others when I can.

Carolyn
Old August 16, 2017   #99
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Just to post some additional info and I hope not add to any controversy. I obtained Dotsons Lebanese Heart seeds from Marsha but they failed to germinate. I also obtained Omars Lebanese seeds from TGS. The plant that I ended up growing turned out to be a heart. It may be a mix up on their end or mine but I plan to try again next year and see if I get the same result. It does not have the typical wispy foliage of a heart and it seems to be some what smaller than Darrin's.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #100
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Just to post some additional info and I hope not add to any controversy. I obtained Dotsons Lebanese Heart seeds from Marsha but they failed to germinate. I also obtained Omars Lebanese seeds from TGS. The plant that I ended up growing turned out to be a heart. It may be a mix up on their end or mine but I plan to try again next year and see if I get the same result. It does not have the typical wispy foliage of a heart and it seems to be some what smaller than Darrin's.
Thanks for the update, Hoosier. I had one other that failed to get germination from my original seeds. As a rank amateur seed saver at that time, I have to say that the seeds I kept were not pretty. I have learned quite a bit from the folks on here. Please do grow out that heart and snap some pics, it could be interesting.

Darin
Old August 16, 2017   #101
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Thanks for the update, Hoosier. I had one other that failed to get germination from my original seeds. As a rank amateur seed saver at that time, I have to say that the seeds I kept were not pretty. I have learned quite a bit from the folks on here. Please do grow out that heart and snap some pics, it could be interesting.

Darin
I only had 3 seeds and I guess I shouldn't have put all my eggs in one container. I had some other varieties that I had trouble with as well so it might have been on my end. I will take some pics, but I really don't think it resembles yours. I just thought I would throw it out there and where they came from since others were getting hearts from Omars.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #102
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I only had 3 seeds and I guess I shouldn't have put all my eggs in one container. I had some other varieties that I had trouble with as well so it might have been on my end. I will take some pics, but I really don't think it resembles yours. I just thought I would throw it out there and where they came from since others were getting hearts from Omars.
Gotcha. The only other I have heard from that is getting hearts from OL seeds is Rita above, and she is checking her seed sources. Are there others that I am not aware of?
Thanks

Darin
Old August 16, 2017   #103
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Give me your winners, please !!!

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #104
seasyde
Tomatovillian™

Here in the PNW, my tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Despite our late spring, Galina has been the star for me so far. I got my first ripe one in July, which is unheard of in my garden. Large, beautiful plant with lots of good size yellow cherries. Delicious. Will definitely be invited back.

As for the others.....
seasyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #105
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasyde View Post
Here in the PNW, my tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Despite our late spring, Galina has been the star for me so far. I got my first ripe one in July, which is unheard of in my garden. Large, beautiful plant with lots of good size yellow cherries. Delicious. Will definitely be invited back.

As for the others.....
Thanks seasyde.
I know how it is in PNW. I have gardened there for 4 season. I used to push and managed to get some ripes by mid July. August and September were peak months of production. But here , down south, it is a different tomato world. After harvesting for over 100 days , now my garden is going down the hill. Got Heat, Disease, pests, drought, ... And lack of interest . How much tomatoes does a man need ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote