Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 7, 2007   #1
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

Default What dropping is this?

Hi all,

I was out picking my cherry tomatoes and saw these on some of the leaves. I don't see any hornworm around, but I am seeing droppings on the leaves. One of the pics also shows the leaves being eaten. I thought hornworm droppings are larger than these? Any help in ID'ing these droppings are appreciated.

Soo
North Raleigh, NC
sooby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Those droppings are from a very small hornworm. It's going to take some searching to find it. But you can see the amount of foliage that even a tiny hornworm can eat, and it will only get worse.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2007   #3
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

Well, BT, here I come! I already have a BT concentrate ready for this, so I shall use it!

Do you know whether I can use BT concurrently with Serenade (Bacillus Sublitis)? Will they counteract with each other and reduce their effectiveness?
Old July 7, 2007   #4
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

Well, I went out there a while ago and sprayed them with BT. I had the concentrate so I diluted them in the right proportion and went a little beserk on my plants. I tried to get the bottom of the leaves too, but I don't think it matters much either way, as they'll have to munch some more leaves before BT takes effect.