Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 11, 2007   #1
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

Default ID nutrient deficiency

Hi all,

I believe that my Black Cherry has developed some sort of nutrient deficiency. The edges around the leaves are starting to brown, and eventually wilt. I don't think it's a disease because the plant otherwise seems healthy. All my other plants around it appears to be pretty healthy as well. One of the reasons I believe it's a nutrient deficiency is because the entire plant leaves look lighter yellow than the my other tomatoes. I've included pictures below. Hopefully they are clear.

Black Cherry leaf problems

Color comparisons of leaves
Black Cherry 'healthy' leaf-no brown edges... yet

SunGold - notice the deeper green leaf color compared to above

I'm sure I'm possibly wrong in my diagnostic seeing I'm a newbie if tomato gardening. If so, any of your help is appreciated.

Soo
North Raleigh, NC
sooby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

sooby77, I don't think you have a problem. I'm assuming you are growing it in the ground. Just keep an eye on it but I wouldn't worry about it. As far as the overall color some varieties are not as dark green as others. Anybody else have any other idea's. Ami
Old July 11, 2007   #3
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your reply. I'm getting worried because more and more leaves are having this symptom. I'll have to monitor more closely to see if anything new develops.
Old July 11, 2007   #4
chanceysmama
Tomatovillian™

did you check the bottom side of the leaves, I had one starting to do that and there was something staring a web on the underneath side of the leaf. Your very first picture looks like the leaf is kind of bubbly, is that what I am seeing?
chanceysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

sooby,

Your plants look very healthy to me except for the brownish-black edges you've pointed out. To my untrained eyes, that looks like classic early blight to me, which is a fungal leaf problem that can be prevented with regular spraying.

Have you had heavy rains? Have you been spraying any kind of fungal preventative on your plants? Daconil (chlorothanonil), Serenade, etc.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007   #6
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

chanceymama, I don't think the leaves are bubbly. I just looked and there doesn't appear to be bulges.

On the other hand, I think Feldon is right. It does look like Early Blight upon closer inspection of the more severe leaves. Necrotic spots have appeared in the inner parts of the leaves. I hasn't rained for more than a week now, but the dry spell was broken last night as we got a good shower. Everything was damp when I went out a few moments ago. So I just sprayed all my plants with Serenade and removed most of the affected leaves. How does EB spread? I don't see this symptom on any of my other tomato plants.

Underside of the same leaf

Another leaf with problem

Is this hornworm damage on my Husky Red Cherry?

I will spray BT tomorrow. I'm not sure if I can use BT and Serenade concurrently, but I will give it a day between spraying.

Soo
North Raleigh, NC
Old July 12, 2007   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The first pictures look fungal to me. As for the hole in the HRC, that could be fruitworms (BT) or hornworms (BT) or Blossom End Rot (not much you can do).

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007   #8
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully Serenade will prevent further outbreak of the disease. It seems that each time I spray, it rains! Quite annoying!