Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 31, 2007   #16
orflo
Tomatovillian™

I am pretty convinced this is not late blight, we get late blight from the end of May to november, and the symptoms are not quite alike, if you get brown-black spots on the stems, suspect late blight then, but this doesn't look like it. I think it is indeed a cold snap or a sun -burn, or even a combination of the two. Sunburn occurs easier after a cold night, when the plants are exposed to the ful l sun . The affected leaves will eventually die, but otherwise no worries.
La te blight is also recognized on the underside of the leaves, you can see a group of whitish spores looking fungal over there,no sign of these here,
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007   #17
tessa
Tomatovillian™

oh gosh. i'm so confused!!!

thanks mantis...where did you get yours???
i wonder if i can order some daconil in from ebay. won't be in time for this...but maybe for the future.

bcday...i can't find a fungicide that *doesn't* have copper!!!

orflo...i'm really hoping it *is* the cold.
i don't know much about disease (as i've not actually had any before!) but if it was late blight, a fungus, and is contagious...then why wouldn't the affected spot have spread? as you can see...the margins did not change at all from when it presented as black (day one) and then went crispy (day two)...the margins of the effected areas are exactly the same.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007   #18
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Have a look at Bayer Antracol.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007   #19
tessa
Tomatovillian™

where are you getting that from, mcsee?
Old October 31, 2007   #20
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

It seems to be a Victorian made product and Company and I can't locate a W.A. outlet. You need to Google for Agricultural Supplies/Horticultural Supplies types of places eg Westfarmers or try your local Yellow Pages for above.

Maybe someone like
Oakford Agricultural & Garden Supplies
Cnr Thomas & Cummings Rds Oakford WA 6121
ph: (08) 9419 5598

They may stock Daconil??

Last edited by mcsee; October 31, 2007 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Add product Daconil.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007   #21
orflo
Tomatovillian™

Did the leaves get some drops of water on them in the late morning, this could explain the partial sunburn of the leaves?
Frank
Old October 31, 2007   #22
tessa
Tomatovillian™

oy. can't remember now.
obviously...i overhead water. i do it quite regularly because things in the greenhouse tended to dry out quite fast once i'd taken the door off. so could be that it was wet.

no sign of disease in any of the other plants so far.
the isolated plant shows no new evidence of disease.
i'm still hoping you're right, orflo...but i am checking out all my fungicide options because this gave me a real scare!!!

thanks mcsee.
i know that garden supply shop...maybe i can drop in there today. this means i have to buy in industrial quantity tho, right? yikes!
Old November 1, 2007   #23
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Yes having a closer look at your pics I think Frank might be onto something. There doesnt seem to be any fungal spores on the underside of the leaves.
It is scary to look at tho
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2007   #24
orflo
Tomatovillian™

I have some last tomatoes left in the greenhouse, I will try and take a good picture if the weather allows it, then you'll see the difference, and when the disease spreads the leaves don't go brown-dry the way they did on one of the pics. I am ninety percent sure this is a sunburn, the only other possibility is an for me unknown strain of late blight, there are several strains of the disease, but they all have the groupements of spores and a quick spreading of the disease in common.
Just try to avoid wetness on the leaves, behind glass and with the strong sun you can get the dry leaves you have, I really do think you don't have to worry,
Frank
Old November 1, 2007   #25
tessa
Tomatovillian™

oh the relief.

after close inspection of all the plants today...i feel confident it was a false scare.

BUT.
i think i still need to be ready for an eventual attack of the blight...and i've got a lot of useful info from this and appreciate everyone who's come by to help out.

thanks!
Old November 1, 2007   #26
orflo
Tomatovillian™

And something I forgot: another symptom of the blight:
look very closely to the upper side of the leaves, if you see any lightgreen round spots (the colour difference is quite subtle), about 1 centimeter, abit more, a bit less is possible,then turn the leaves around and look on the backside of the spots, if there is any blight around, the backside will have a white-grey 'circle' of the grey-white spores, clearly visible (it's not always fully round). This is especially so on young plants (so I can't take a pic of that), no sign of this on your plants. The late blight is 'moisture-bound', if you get long periods of rain and you live in a 'blight area', chances are big you will get the blight as well, unless you provide some sort of a cover. But make sure, if you cover the plants you have an adequate ventilation, otherwise humidity will build up and the blight will attack as well,
Frank
Old November 1, 2007   #27
orflo
Tomatovillian™

The pics aren't really good, but you can spot the white powdery spores, the brown discoloration of the stem , and the spots on the green tomato (the hole is made by a caterpillar). I should point out these are 'old' tomatoes, grown in the greenhouse, the symptoms are a bit different outside (for instance the discoloration of the stem is more black than brown, the tomatoes turn brown-black, the spores are more visible),
Frank
Old November 1, 2007   #28
tessa
Tomatovillian™

AAAAAAAAahhhh!
you're frightening me!!!!

(thanks for the pics, orflo. definitely not what i've got here, thank goodness)