Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 23, 2018   #1
KCinNC
Tomatovillian™

Default Worm in tomato stem

Noticed last week that one of my Momataro plants wasn't looking too good.
Well it looked a little worse today so I pulled it up. I suspected some sort of blight or wilt and wanted it away from my other plants.
When I pulled it I noticed a brown section of stem above the soil line and the stem was very weak there.
I broke the stem open and could see where a worm had been but didn't find the worm. I hope it doesn't find it's way to any of my other plants.
I hated to lose a plant loaded with tomatoes but I've got 51 more.
Has anyone else had this problem and what type of worm would this be?
I spray with eight maybe 3 or 4 times a season but use fungicide weekly. Not sure any type of spray would be very effective on something inside the stem.
Thanks for any info.
KCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #2
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I had the same problem in one of my plants this year. It was a big beef that had gotten damaged but had grown back and was doing well. All of a sudden it looked wilted and I let it go for a couple of days until I decided to pull it out I cut the stem and there was no discoloration inside. I also placed it in a glass of water and looked for streaming of bacteria to which would indicate bacterial wilt and there was none. Then I noticed the brown discoloration right at the soil line. I did not see any insects but it looked to me almost like the stem was rotting at that point. I assumed that it had been damaged and insects were eating it or that fungus had moved in to a damaged spot.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #3
KCinNC
Tomatovillian™

I would have thought some sort of blight or wilt but could plainly see the worm sign inside the stem when I broke it open.
KCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote