Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29, 2016   #1
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Default Oak Chips

Three years ago a big oak tree on our property broke down and we had to have it removed. The tree service ran the branches that were too small for firewood through a chipper and ground down the enormous stump, and I left all those chips in a big pile for a year. Last year I spread the partly-composted oak chips as mulch about 3" deep in the pathways of my vegetable garden.

At the end of last year's growing season I plowed the oak chips into my garden along with some nitrogen fertilizer, and I did that again before I planted anything this spring. I was a little concerned that all that oak tannin would acidify the garden soil so I got a soil test this February that turned out fine - the pH was 6.8.

Now in working my summer garden I see that plowing all those oak chips into the soil was the best thing I could have done. There were a LOT of oak chips added, enough to cover the whole 35' x 50' garden three inches deep the year before. Now I can hardly find any oak at all, and my clay soil is much looser than it used to be.

When I do find an occasional oak chip in the soil, here's what they look like. The few chips that remain are being broken down completely by white root-like fungi that look like they'd be soft, but they're not. These soft-appearing white "roots" are hard and scratchy like the bristles of a stiff nylon brush. I bet by the end of this warm season I won't be able to find any oak in my soil at all.

If you ever have a chance to add oak chips to your garden soil this way, I think it's a real good thing to do!

Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote