Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 14, 2017   #1
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Carrots

Going to pick up Roots Organic potting mix soon. Planting my carrots in 15 gallon containers this year. Seems like they require a little different soil treatment. Do I add sand or what? Saw where b54red was having great success with his carrots. My granddaughter loved the whole carrot experience last summer .i would like to have a better crop this year for her! . Jimbo .
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #2
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

My wife asks me every year why I grow carrots being as they are so cheap in the store. I just tell her for me it is a test of my gardening skills and how much I am learning each year and how to apply that into growing a better and better carrot. A you-tube channel I subscribe to out of the U.K. is a gentleman that grows competition veggies and giant carrots are one of those. He makes a large box fills it with builders sand and then takes a pipe about 2 1/2" diameter and quite long and drives it in and then removes it, taking out a core sample of sand. He replaces that with almost all compost. I grow mine in a combination of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite. Be careful with nitrogen. Too much and they can come out quite strange. Good luck.
Old March 14, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Carrots can grow in some pretty sorry soil just no rocks.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #4
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Carrots can grow in some pretty sorry soil just no rocks.

Worth
I don't think the Roots organic has an over abundance of nitrogen. Out of the 20 pots I go from the landscaper two were really nicer. There heavy , shorter and wider fifteen gallon containers. I could use one or both for carrots.
Old March 14, 2017   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Jimbo, my son is doing an experiment using different mixes to grow carrots in 5 gallon buckets. There is a brand of cheap mix sold at Walmart called Earthgro - it cost under $2 a bag and has a fair amount of sand in it. What my son showed me is that the mix of the Earthgro and MG produced much longer carrots than the ones planted in MG alone.

I'll look tomorrow when I'm out in the barn to see exactly which one he bought - and let you know.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #6
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Jimbo, my son is doing an experiment using different mixes to grow carrots in 5 gallon buckets. There is a brand of cheap mix sold at Walmart called Earthgro - it cost under $2 a bag and has a fair amount of sand in it. What my son showed me is that the mix of the Earthgro and MG produced much longer carrots than the ones planted in MG alone.

I'll look tomorrow when I'm out in the barn to see exactly which one he bought - and let you know.
Thank salty dog. Sounds like you don't need super soil for carrots. Granddaughter and I had great fun pulling, washing and eating carrots but our little carrots were pathetic. Got some from Joseph I'm excited to try out! Let me know and I'll give it a whirl. . Jimbo
Old March 15, 2017   #7
ilex
Tomatovillian™

I grow carrots in clay, with weeds. They will grow almost everywhere. Much better in some places, and huge differences between varieties
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0009.JPG (54.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0010.JPG (65.5 KB, 122 views)
Old March 15, 2017   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr View Post
My wife asks me every year why I grow carrots being as they are so cheap in the store. I just tell her for me it is a test of my gardening skills and how much I am learning each year and how to apply that into growing a better and better carrot. A you-tube channel I subscribe to out of the U.K. is a gentleman that grows competition veggies and giant carrots are one of those. He makes a large box fills it with builders sand and then takes a pipe about 2 1/2" diameter and quite long and drives it in and then removes it, taking out a core sample of sand. He replaces that with almost all compost. I grow mine in a combination of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite. Be careful with nitrogen. Too much and they can come out quite strange. Good luck.
I watch him too. I made a box to try to replicate some of his success using a similar mix/method.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #10
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here it is
Thanks salt. My Walmart carries that stuff. I forgot that BVV made that cool container for carrots. Think I'll make one. Anyone remember the dimensions? . Jimbo
Old March 15, 2017   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Jimbo, what I'm reading about carrots keeps pointing to well drained sand being the best soil ingredient. Not like play sand or silica (Both hold water causing saturation) but what most people call builder's sand. There are different grades that break down to:

White sand - which is basically play sand. White sand makes white mortar look better. I wouldn't use it for anything other than aesthetics. It actually makes a weaker mortar because the grain is too fine.

Concrete Sand which has course grains that is best used in concrete and asphalt. I use it for gravel in our fish aquarium.

Brick Sand has grains up to around 1/16th to 3/32nd" and sounds like (by what all I've read) - the best to go with for growing carrots.

This site http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2012/03...w_carrots.html

Says: Carrots and other root crops need a well-drained soil, categorized as sandy loam or loamy sand on the triangle. These soils are between 50 percent and 90 percent sand. So it is a matter of filling the bed with sand and amending it with a little soil, rather than vice-versa.

I'm wondering if carrots grown professionally are grown in sand too?
Old March 15, 2017   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

not mentioned here I can see is the type of carrot. There are large differences between varieties and some do better in some circumstances than others. What variety do you want to plant
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #13
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Jimbo, what I'm reading about carrots keeps pointing to well drained sand being the best soil ingredient. Not like play sand or silica (Both hold water causing saturation) but what most people call builder's sand. There are different grades that break down to:

White sand - which is basically play sand. White sand makes white mortar look better. I wouldn't use it for anything other than aesthetics. It actually makes a weaker mortar because the grain is too fine.

Concrete Sand which has course grains that is best used in concrete and asphalt. I use it for gravel in our fish aquarium.

Brick Sand has grains up to around 1/16th to 3/32nd" and sounds like (by what all I've read) - the best to go with for growing carrots.

Says: Carrots and other root crops need a well-drained soil, categorized as sandy loam or loamy sand on the triangle. These soils are between 50 percent and 90 percent sand. So it is a matter of filling the bed with sand and amending it with a little soil, rather than vice-versa.

Thank you Salt! I'll make some mix up like that. . KarenO I got the seeds from Joseph but I'll have to look up the description. I'm sure they'll be great!
Old March 16, 2017   #14
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr View Post
You can't buy old fashioned carrots in the store:

Old March 16, 2017   #15
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Carrots do grow much better in loose soil, and are easier to grow and take out. But they can grow in just about any soil. I grow in clay, and yes, most varieties grow poorly, but some grow VERY well. Not easy to take out, but just like anything else, use a garden spade. Wild carrots can grow in very compact soils.