Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 20, 2020   #1
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Default Optimal Spacing

Tomato beds are four foot wide beds with two rows two feet apart, then I set transplants every two feet. Each plant is trained to two to four stems up six feet.

What would be the benefit of a 3 foot spacing ?? Will the roots fill the extra area??

(The soil is shallow as the growing "soil" has been built up on top of the drainage field of the septic system. Varies 4-8inches , amended with about 2 inches aged compost for two years.)
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Depends almost entirely on how much the soil has been built up with compost. Higher nutrient levels will support higher plant density. Also depends on the variety to be planted as indeterminate requires more room than determinate and dwarf varieties less still. My rule of thumb in a raised bed with moderately amended soil is to give each indeterminate 6 square feet,determinates 4 square feet, and dwarfs 2 square feet. You will have to fertilize quite a bit with this spacing. Tight spacing also leads to disease problems from the dense foliage.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2020   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I personally find light/sun to be the determining factor for spacing, not nutrients. Actually very good growing conditions will lead to higher spacing requirements, since they have a leafier, thicker growth.
For me, about 40 cm between plants works well, one stem pruning.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020   #4
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Fusion Power.......how many stems are kept for the indeterminates in the 6 square foot space??

zipcode..... thanks the specifics.
Old March 22, 2020   #5
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Up to 4 stems for indeterminates, caveat that the plants MUST be either caged, staked, or trellised.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020   #6
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

ok.....that fits with my question about trying a 3foot spacing , as 6sq foot would be allotted for each Inderterminate, and I trained to 2-4 stems.

Thank you to all responders .