Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2020   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Grow bags

Does anyone use these in North Anerica, very popular in the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdePGczPU8
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2020   #2
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I know a few people that do. One does it for his eggplants.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2020   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I thought of getting a few to put either side of my path in the greenhouse as my boxes leave me with about a foot all round, but I have never seen them here in Canada and wondered if people use them are they called grow bags or are they just using purchased soil in bags ??
Old April 2, 2020   #4
DonB5750
Tomatovillian™

Just saw this post, sorry if it doesn't interest anyone now but I've used grow bags for 5 years now. It came out of necessity, being that my soil was mostly red clay and tired of blossom-end rot. I used mostly 15 gallon size. The number of tomatoes wasn't that good but it's nice to be able to control what tomatoes growi in. I only grown heirlooms so they have to be nursed along and have good water control. All mine have done well as far as the size and taste of tomatoes, just not enough production I guess. Some of the 'standard' type heirlooms like Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple, etc didn't do that well, but hardier varieties like Stupice and Mountain Merit did very well. Hope this helps.
DonB5750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2020   #5
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Don, thank you for the response. May I ask if you bought actual grow bags, like the video or did you use bags of potted soil mix and utilise them. I have never seen named Grow bags here and I wondred if I could make do with something else bagged and wing it.

Thank yoy XX Jeannine
Old April 5, 2020   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've seen many posts both here and on other websites over the years of people planting right in bags of potting mix. Poke drainage holes on one side, make a planting hole (or holes if growing smaller crops) on the other. I've personally never tried it.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2020   #7
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Look you Larry Hall and his Rain Gutter Grow System. One of his variations is to use Walmart (reusuable poly) shopping bags as grow bags.
Old April 11, 2020   #8
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I have never seen this done before. It strikes me that this might be OK in a greenhouse in cooler temperatures, but would run into watering issues with higher temps or outdoors. I've also never seen the pots left on the tomato starts and just bury the pot with the bottom cut off. Last, I presume he is going to prune the heck out of the plants with three plants in that bag of soil/mix. I guess I'm skeptical of this method, but if it works for others, great.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote