Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2020   #1
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting By The Moon Phase

Wondering if any members practice planting by the moon phase. I'm ready to put in all my "above ground" plants in the next 2 days under a Waxing Crescent Moon that will become a Super Moon on April 7.

I have read a great deal of the folklore (very interesting) and am looking for some real life experiences...good or not so good.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, not a moony. I depend on temperature both soil and air and the weather at the time I feel like getting into the garden. I did have a brother-in-law who swore by signs and omens.
Old March 28, 2020   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

my grandfather did
And planted something when the maple tree buds were as big as a mouse ear.
Potatoes?
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020   #4
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

I go by the tulip popular uds, when they open, i plant.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2020   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

It makes no sense to me. I go by soil and air temperature.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2020   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I started playing with it about three or four years ago and stuff is growing better. Of course, soil and air temp are also included in the mix. It's worked well enough that now I'm almost afraid not to follow it just in case it really is working!

Every once in a while I will start something on one of the so-called barren days where "any seeds planted now tend to rot in the ground" just to see what happens. Some times they do but whether they would have anyway even if planted within the correct window, who knows.

I'm real tempted to sow some squash seeds on Tuesday.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2020   #7
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

What is the theory of how a phase of the moon can effect gardening?
Old March 29, 2020   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

If I only planted by a moon phase I may get the GH's filled by October.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2020   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
What is the theory of how a phase of the moon can effect gardening?
This can explain it better than I can:

https://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/h...lanting-works/

There are also lists of veggies and which moon phase/sign, etc are best for each but it's easiest to just let the almanac tell me because they've already taken that into consideration. Example:

March 31 - "Excellent day for sowing seedbeds and flower gardens. Best for planting aboveground crops, especially peas, beans, cucumbers and squash where climate is suitable."

Or you can just wing it with the old rule of thumb about planting things that grow underground (root crops) when the moon in waning and plant things that grow above ground (beans, etc) when the moon is waxing.
Old March 29, 2020   #10
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

All great comments. My other planting signs are when the cats start sunbathing in an East window in the sunroom and there is an abundance of shedding when they are brushed...a sure sign the weather is warming! We gardeners need all the help we can get and each has his/her own "signs" to work with.

How to use excess fur:
On another note to keep squirrels away from bird feeders and containers put a wad of cat or dog fur in a nylon stocking or cheese cloth, tie it up tight and put it in the pot or hang from the feeder. I did this last year and it seemed to work as an effective deterrent for all but the most determined squirrels. They smell the scent of the fur and think a predator is near. If you try this please post your results.

Last edited by MuddyBuckets; March 29, 2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: additional info
Old March 29, 2020   #11
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBuckets View Post
How to use excess fur:
On another note to keep squirrels away from bird feeders and containers put a wad of cat or dog fur in a nylon stocking or cheese cloth, tie it up tight and put it in the pot or hang from the feeder. I did this last year and it seemed to work as an effective deterrent for all but the most determined squirrels. They smell the scent of the fur and think a predator is near. If you try this please post your results.
I've GOT to try this on the shepherd's crook where the two bird feeders are. The squirrels think the feeders are theirs! The cats are starting to shed and they're getting brushed every day to help keep the hairballs away so there's plenty of fur wads to use. I'll let you know what happens.
Old March 29, 2020   #12
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

GoDaws
Pack in enough fur to make a a ball about the size of a large lemon, tie it off and massage it to get the oils in the hair to come out. Put some seed on the ground under the feeder with a hair ball in the center and see what the squirrels do. Let us know your results. It has mostly worked for me. No squirrels grabbed it and took the hair balls back to their nest for "later"...ha, ha, ha.
Old March 29, 2020   #13
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Go Dawgs
Another solution to squirrels on a shepherds crook is to take a metal slinky, zip tie one end to the top of the hook and drape the rest around the shaft and let the fun begin. Be sure to get your camera ready as they try to negotiate the slinky!
Old March 29, 2020   #14
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Hysterical image in my head now Muddy Buckets!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020   #15
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
This can explain it better than I can:

https://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/h...lanting-works/
Thanks GoDawgs. I guess that the main idea is that the gravity of the moon pulls water and/or the seeds upward through the ground. What if it is raining that day? I just don't find this believable and I also do not find the ideas like "magnetizing" seeds believable either.

Tags
folklore , moon , moon phase , planting