Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 12, 2012   #16
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

For what its worth JRJohnson has been purchased by BFG Supply.
http://www.bfgsupply.com/
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #17
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Naysen, be interested in hearing what you find out about the "engineered for strength" HPPs. I checked out Haviland's website but didn't see a lot of additional information that would help you.
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

For that price you will have to go the gro bag route seen on the hydro sites.I saw some for about $2.65 each at a order of 25 . That had black insides and white outsides.I think the site was Sun Leaves.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #19
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://inlandempire.ebayclassifieds....s/?ad=12162457 Maybe a solution
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #20
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
The other evening I noticed around 10 recently emptied large nursery pots. I thought about asking on them, but thought better of it. I didn't want to seem like the neighborhood beggar. Yes, my pride is getting the better of my blueberries.

-naysen
You need to get over that!Our neighbors have seen us pick so much stuff out of the garbage at the end of our lane, refurbish and reuse it, that they often ask if we want what they're going to throw out before they bother to haul it to the bottom of the hill for garbage pickup!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #21
ExpendableZero
Tomatovillian™

We have this place in Alabama. They sell plastic nursery pots in bundles. The price for 15 gallon pots came out to about $2.50 each. I've only heard about it from a neighbor. I haven't been there since it says they don't deal with the public.

http://www.cassco.cc/

Maybe you have something similar nearby?
ExpendableZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #22
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

I saw therse large blue 20 gallon tubs at Lowe's. Here they sell for $8.43. I have no idea how they would weather. Maybe also consider the tough totes that are used for Earthtainers if they don't have to be round?

051596080167xl[1].jpg
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #23
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsandDirt View Post
I saw therse large blue 20 gallon tubs at Lowe's. Here they sell for $8.43. I have no idea how they would weather. Maybe also consider the tough totes that are used for Earthtainers if they don't have to be round?

Attachment 22666
If they're anything like the ones I picked up from a local Hardware store here for about $7 each, they should do okay. As I mentioned before, mine have lasted about 6 years so far and appear to be doing fine this winter.

That's a good price for 20 gallon containers....I'd grab it if I were you.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #24
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I've seen the tubs you're talking about at a local H.D. store. They had two of them in stock and on sale, but they looked so hideous (the color), I decided not to try and fit them in my car. One of the problem I have to face here is these pots will be font facing (front yard behind the lawn. I'm going to be pushing it with the black nursery pots (there are rules and regs about what's allowed), but I know those brightly colored tubs would be eyesore enough to get me fined or just make me more the pariah in the neighborhood than I already am for having what looks like a pot-growing factory in my garage with all the winter grow lights.

That ebay Kurt pasted might work, assuming they're friendly with the shipping charges.

Again, everyone, thanks for the gush of responses on this topic. More than I could have hoped for in such a short period. There's got to be a local hydro or nursery supply store that will sell those 20-gallon pots in bulk for around $5 a pop.

--naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2012   #25
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I'd suggest checking around. I've found some of the bins with the ropes in earth tones, white, black, cream or grey.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2012   #26
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

You could try old water softener barrels, they are rather tall but cut in half would be good. A plumbing contractor I used to work for was throwing those things out all the time. Good luck.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #27
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Home Depot buckets. Cheap, sturdy, and come with a handle.

Oops just saw that you need a bigger size. Sorry about that.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #28
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsandDirt View Post

Attachment 22666
They had the same tubs at Walmart on Saturday for $3! Don't know if they're on clearance but there wasn't a sign to that effect. Not sure about colors, but I remember one was a rusty color- a bit deeper than terra cotta.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #29
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

A search for your local "barrel and drum supply" might be the way to go. Cut them in half for 25-gal pots.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #30
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Rockhound, that's not a bad idea. I've read online that sometimes carwash companies and soda processing companies will give away their old, malfunctioning plastic barrels. Some say that corporate has abolished that practice in recent years. I'm now considering some rather expensive plastic raised beds as well, but those will not be at all portable with soil loaded.

Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote