Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 4, 2015   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Corn Pressure Canning

http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%20...0Canning/HTML/ 4 August 2015 Corn Pressure Canning
Four dozen of pristine, purchased corn was made into 7 liters of corn juice or slurry.Cost was $5.00 per dozen. The kernels about ten pounds were removed from the cobs, placed in the cooking pot and five liters of water was added. The mixture was cooked about 20 minutes and beat into a slurry using the hand lender. The slurry was strained through a 2 mm mesh screen on a Victorio food mill. The residue of the Victorio was put through a Champion Juicer to glean maximum nutrients. The total residue from the process being mostly cellulose was placed in the bird feeder to see if they will eat it.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well Durgan, I guess you got what you wanted, but, for me and my family, that's a huge waste of good corn. In your picture, it looks like yellow sweet corn which makes wonderful whole kernel corn for freezing. Just shuck the ears, remove the kernels, put them into a plastic bag or container that can be vacuum sealed, and freeze. No cooking. No additives. No fuss. No muss. Tastes wonderful in snow times.

I'm not really sure what I could use "corn juice" for, but you must have a purpose for it. I usually get some fresh corn each year and we make whole kernel bags for veggie sides with regular meals, and smaller bags for putting into stews.

What can a regular sane person use corn juice for??

Oh, and BTW, around here, we get a dozen ears for only $3.00
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; August 4, 2015 at 05:33 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #3
JoParrott

I totally agree with Ted-- you started out with delicious corn and after several strainings, had juice- that is almost sinful (just kidding) To me there's nothing more satisfying than eating a hot, buttered, freshly cooked ear of sweet corn. I buy extra and just cut the kernels off, scrape the cob to get all the juices out, and freeze in Ziploc bags for soups all winter. No blanching or mess at all.
Old August 4, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Well Durgan, I guess you got what you wanted, but, for me and my family, that's a huge waste of good corn. In your picture, it looks like yellow sweet corn which makes wonderful whole kernel corn for freezing. Just shuck the ears, remove the kernels, put them into a plastic bag or container that can be vacuum sealed, and freeze. No cooking. No additives. No fuss. No muss. Tastes wonderful in snow times.

I'm not really sure what I could use "corn juice" for, but you must have a purpose for it. I usually get some fresh corn each year and we make whole kernel bags for veggie sides with regular meals, and smaller bags for putting into stews.

What can a regular sane person use corn juice for??

Oh, and BTW, around here, we get a dozen ears for only $3.00
People all over the world drink corn juice.

This reminds me of the MASH episode where they spent all summer growing corn for corn on the cob, just to have the cook make cream style corn out of it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.thekitchn.com/corn-juice-...ried-it-192520
To make corn juice, remove the kernels from a fresh ear of corn. (You can also cook the corn first, if you prefer.) Puree in a blender with about 1 cup of water per ear of corn, and strain. Chill and drink within a couple of days.
Old August 4, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Of all of the juices from vegetables corn juice is my favorite.

It is like a liquid corn on the cob.

When my mom cut the corn off the cob to can, I would suck and chew on every one of those cobs and get the last bit of juice from them.

Worth
Old August 4, 2015   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The only "corn juice" I've ever made requires some heat and always seems to draw the attention of the Feds. Here in Appalachia, we don't waste corn squeezin's on "juice", we take it a step further to a proper conclusion which brings us to a "shine-ing" finish.

Man, I still think it's a waste of good corn.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 4, 2015   #8
JoParrott

Ted, that's hilarious! I still say the goodness of whole corn is wasted by juicing it--you lose all the fiber- and possibly some nutrients-? I don't know. But for me, it's corn on the cob!
Old August 4, 2015   #9
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Use your imagination! It is the middle of February in zone 5. Corn on the cob is simply not available. That is what my exercise is all about. During the season FRESH IS ALWAYS BEST. For off season use there are alternatives. All have restrictions. I happen to have chosen pressure canning as much as possible for my plant foods. I select the product when it is in peak condition and process it. Sort of like the parable of the ant and the grasshopper.
Old August 4, 2015   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, Durgan, I simply freeze fresh corn on the cob. Shuck it and vacuum freeze it. Take it out and boil it or whatever. Fresh corn on the cob. I took the time to look for ways to can corn juice, but found none that were recommended. Maybe I came to this point via a different path. I had never heard of corn juice. The closest thing to it might have been creamed corn which I think is terrible. However, I am always eager to learn. I can see the nutritional aspects of corn juice, but this ole' hillbilly needs something for the teeth to be chewing on. I want the kernels to get stuck in my teeth and I want the butter and salt to drip off my chin. I want feel like I'm consuming a line off the typewriter when I "mow down" a line of kernels. I can do that if I freeze corn.

But, each to his own. With all the juicing, you must be on a strict liquid diet. How about a big old steak with mushrooms and brown gravy? You know, mashed potatoes and green beans with cashews to chew on. A glass of wine, candlelight, and soft music. Whoops, I nodded off, there.

Just how do you can corn juice?
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 4, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, Durgan, I simply freeze fresh corn on the cob. Shuck it and vacuum freeze it. Take it out and boil it or whatever. Fresh corn on the cob. I took the time to look for ways to can corn juice, but found none that were recommended. Maybe I came to this point via a different path. I had never heard of corn juice. The closest thing to it might have been creamed corn which I think is terrible. However, I am always eager to learn. I can see the nutritional aspects of corn juice, but this ole' hillbilly needs something for the teeth to be chewing on. I want the kernels to get stuck in my teeth and I want the butter and salt to drip off my chin. I want feel like I'm consuming a line off the typewriter when I "mow down" a line of kernels. I can do that if I freeze corn.

But, each to his own. With all the juicing, you must be on a strict liquid diet. How about a big old steak with mushrooms and brown gravy? You know, mashed potatoes and green beans with cashews to chew on. A glass of wine, candlelight, and soft music. Whoops, I nodded off, there.

Old August 5, 2015   #12
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

In 2008, 37% of Canadian adults were measured as overweight. http://well-being.esdc.gc.ca/misme-iowb/.3ndic.1t.4r@-eng.jsp?iid

Result if over indulged, which is done with a large part of the population.

Maybe this indicates there may be something amiss with our national food intake. Changes might be contemplated.

Last edited by Durgan; August 5, 2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old August 5, 2015   #13
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, Durgan, I hope you achieve the weight you are looking for. In the meantime, I'm going to go back to my steak and taters. I guess that I am, and always have been, "Just a country boy".

Take care.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 5, 2015   #14
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Whole corn canning note:

What a commercial cannery uses for canned corn is usually different than the sweet corn you buy and use for fresh eating. You will get better results and less mush with those varieties. Generally they are larger kerneled and often su types. su types are a bit tougher, more "corny" flavored, and less sweet than modern sweet corns types such as se, sh2, etc.

With rampant diabetes on the prowl, I question drinking too much sweet corn squeezins unless they're distilled first

My ancestors have been eating corn soup for hundreds of years.

Last edited by dustdevil; August 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote